We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Power Outages (sp.?)

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Power Outages (sp.?)

Are power outages common in the days following storms and hurricanes?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Power Outages (sp.?)

They can be-all depends on the wind strength, and line damage. During Isabel, they shut the power down in some communities. This is safer for the time during, and after the storm, but really doesn't help to get the power back on faster. Damage is damage, and if there are trees on the lines, etc. it will take the same amount of time to repair them. It probably helps some, as they can access areas faster if the power is off, but the time savings for repairs is really minimal.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Power Outages (sp.?)

Yes depends-during Isabel our neighborhood was out for 7 days, others 2 weeks and others an hour. That was only a Cat 2!

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Power Outages (sp.?)

Thank you Kil 37 and LynnVB If a person was trying to decide whether or not to return after leaving because of a hurricane I imagine he could find the information he needs by watching the news.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Power Outages (sp.?)

Yes I would say so. Let's hope for the best.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Power Outages (sp.?)

We have ridden out some VERY bad storms in Duck, and I can't recall that we ever had a power outage. (But I could be wrong.) It seems like most of the utilities are underground around there, maybe not south of there though. Good luck!

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Power Outages (sp.?)

Thanks Carmen 57

7. Re: Power Outages (sp.?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 08:22