We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late August/Crowds/Bike Riding/Traffic

Woodstock, New York
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Late August/Crowds/Bike Riding/Traffic

We are thinking of going to the OBX -probably Avon or Buxton- the week of 8/22 when the rates slide down a bit. We've been there many times during Easter Week and love it. In late August would you still be able to find space on a beach/ride your bike from Avon southware or around Manteo without getting killed? Any experience with traffic to just get there? We have been to Cape Cod in the summer, how would it compare to that? Thank you!!

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late August/Crowds/Bike Riding/Traffic

There are bike paths along the roadway heading towards Manteo and then you can switch to the back roads. I can't help you with the Avon or Buxton areas. I can tell you that the OBX is full of tourists looking at the views, trying to locate stores or restaurants or just getting the lay of the land. They are NOT looking out for pedestrians and bike riders. Use extreme caution.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late August/Crowds/Bike Riding/Traffic

I suggest you go to outerbanks.org, and type in bike in the search section (upper right). A great article will come up for your reading pleasure.

Woodstock, New York
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late August/Crowds/Bike Riding/Traffic

Thanks. We are thinking of spending some time in Manteo riding on the trail there, then crossing the bridge to the mainland to ride there - sounds like we should drive our car over the bridge and take the bikes from there.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late August/Crowds/Bike Riding/Traffic

The last two times we went in late August it was UNBELIEVABLY hot and humid. Riding a bike would have been low on my list of preferred activities.

That said, I never really enjoy bike riding on the Outer Banks - but the only off street trail we've been on is the one through Duck and it's pretty short. Anywhere on the roads terrifies me there.

The beach will be great though and the water much warmer than Easter! -- a huge bonus.

toronto
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Late August/Crowds/Bike Riding/Traffic

We go at that time every year, still prety busy but not crazy packed as I would think it is in July. Traffic has never been a problem for us at that time and we stay in corolla. Bike riding on 12 makes me pretty nervous and I would stay away from it and that's coming from a guy that rides to work in the biggest city in Canada.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late August/Crowds/Bike Riding/Traffic

^ Where else would you ride a bike in Corolla besides Rt 12?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
350 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late August/Crowds/Bike Riding/Traffic

There is a nice bike path that paralells Rt 12 in Corolla and Duck - we have roller bladed on parts of it - north of the Timbuck II plaza (Whalehead Beach area). It goes up a few miles I beleive...

I would type in bike paths in the forum and see what you come up with..

We are trying to decide if we are taking our bikes this year - we are staying in Rodanthe in Sept and not sure about biking down there - esp. towing a child in a trailer..

toronto
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Late August/Crowds/Bike Riding/Traffic

Carmen,

There really isn't an where else to ride in Corolla rt 12 is the only road.

Seeing people with the trailers on the back of their bikes pulling kids just makes me nervous. Not because the bikers are not carefull, I find a lot drivers can get distracted looking at some of the sights, homes, or just trying to find their road.

In duck where there is a path it is okay but outside of that where there is no path, yikes, I have seen some close calls. I wish they would continue the path right up to corolla, then I would take my bike for sure.

9. Re: Late August/Crowds/Bike Riding/Traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 21:23