We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kitty Hawk or South Nags Head?

Maryland
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kitty Hawk or South Nags Head?

We are planning a trip to the outerbanks from Maryland this August with our (senior) dog and kids, 8 and 11. We were looking at renting an oceanside house (husband's preference) of which we have found two that we like - one in Kitty Hawk and other in South Nags Head. Is the beach very crowded in Kitty Hawk and would it be better at South Nags Head? Also, would the trip in and out be much longer if we plan to stay in South Nags Head? Unfortunately, our dog cannot stand the heat and will have to spend much of the day in the house, so we will not be doing a lot of sigthseeing/traveling around the area.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Kitty Hawk
Kitty Hawk
Outer Banks, NC
Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
70 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kitty Hawk or South Nags Head?

The difference between KH and SNH is 15-20 miles, so a house in SNH lengthens the trip, but not by much. I wouldn't consider that in your decision. If you are oceanside in Kitty Hawk, you will be crossing the Beach Rd, which can be a little busy.

Mentioned in this post
Kitty Hawk
Kitty Hawk
Outer Banks, NC
scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kitty Hawk or South Nags Head?

We've always like SNH. It's close enough to all of the activities, but a little more quiet then KH, KDH or NH. Try for a Sunday to Sunday rental. Traffic isn't as bad. Stop at "Border Station" at the VA/NC border for a break. There's a great roadside stand called Morris' Farm Market. Stop there for fruits and veggies. Grave Diggers monster truck HQ is on the way, too.

Steve

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kitty Hawk or South Nags Head?

I'd also put my vote in for South Nags Head - that is where we generally stay - less hectic and crowded than Kitty Hawk, and close enough to other sites to enjoy. I also liked that there were uncrowded sidewalks where we stayed that allowed me to walk my dog without always walking him on the beach when sand was too hot. There were many beach accesses that I could take him for a loop trip on sidewalk and beach.

Mentioned in this post
Kitty Hawk
Kitty Hawk
Outer Banks, NC
Maryland
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kitty Hawk or South Nags Head?

Thank you everyone for your input. I will look into the Sunday to Sunday rental, but I am not sure I will find one available for this year. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

SCW - we will be sure to stop by Morris'Farm Market and keep a lookout for the GraveDiggers HQ. My son is a big fan!

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kitty Hawk or South Nags Head?

You can't miss GraveDigger's Dungeon - it's on the right hand side as you're driving down 158 about 40 miles south of the Virginia state line.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,915 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kitty Hawk or South Nags Head?

SNH is very popular because it is less commercialized and is quiet. The down side is many of the oceanfront homes are damaged and condemned and some were once a lot or two back and are now oceanfront. The beach is narrow below mile post 17.

Kitty has some nice homes on the west side of the beach road but the views are to die for.

Virginia Beach, VA
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kitty Hawk or South Nags Head?

South Nags Head, definitely.

8. Re: Kitty Hawk or South Nags Head?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 16:20