We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visiting...

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
First time visiting...

My husband and I are traveling to the outerbanks in May, we are planning on taking our camper (along with our 2 dogs.) Neither of us have ever visited the outer banks before and we would like to know some info...

-What are some "must see" places?

-Does anyone know of nice campgrounds(with full hookup)?

-Which area is the best to stay?

-Has anyone ever traveled with their dogs to the outerbanks before, if so, did you encounter any problems as far as dogs being allowed at certain places?

Thanks...we appreciate any information we can get...we want to make the best of our trip!

north carolina
Level Contributor
121 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visiting...

We really like the KOA in Avon (near Cape Hatteras). It's very nice, right on the beach. Your also right near Cape Point where dogs LOVE to run.

Mentioned in this post
Avon
Avon
Hatteras Island, NC
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visiting...

I am not a camper, but I know there is a nice KOA campground in Avon. There is nothing like what you want north of Kitty Hawk.

Mentioned in this post
Avon
Avon
Hatteras Island, NC
Kitty Hawk
Kitty Hawk
Outer Banks, NC
Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
348 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visiting...

I don't know anything about camping in OBX, but on both of my stays in a condo in Kill Devil Hills, I remember seeing dogs enjoying the beach with their owners. That was several years ago, so I'm not sure if that's changed.

As far as "must see" places, we enjoyed the Wright Brothers Memorial (Kill Devil Hills), Jockey's Ridge State Park (Nags Head), Ocracoke Island and the wild horses, Roanoke Island (the Lost Colony stuff and we did the aquarium), and of course as many lighthouses as you can see! We saw Bodie, Ocracoke, Currituck, and of course, Cape Hatteras. And one of our favorite memories from one of our trips was parasailing in the sound, which was a blast!

Mentioned in this post
Kill Devil Hills
Kill Devil Hills
Outer Banks, NC
Nags Head
Nags Head
Outer Banks, NC
Roanoke Island
Roanoke Island
Outer Banks, NC
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
Currituck
Currituck
North Carolina Coast, NC
Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visiting...

thanks...we were looking at campgrounds near cape hatteras, i was just worried about traffic traveling down the island...we're not sure how bad it would be during the first part of may, i have heard it can be pretty backed up at times.

We definatly are planning on visiting as many light houses as possible. We were also curious about the wild horse tours, if anyone has info on those?

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visiting...

The KOA is in Rodanthe there is also Camp Hatteras they both have full hook ups if you want to be closer to the Hatteras light house I would recommend Frisco woods in Frisco they are sound side with some water front hook up sites a nice place and good area too close to Ocracoke ferry as well as many marinas a short drive to a life guarded beach and a pier too

As new comers you might like this site just for people like you there is also a camping review

http://fishoinc.tripod.com/

Mentioned in this post
Rodanthe
Rodanthe
Outer Banks, NC
Hatteras
Hatteras
Hatteras Island, NC
Frisco
Frisco
Hatteras Island, NC
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
6. Re: First time visiting...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 06:41