We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OBX Tenative Trip Plans-Your Comments?

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
OBX Tenative Trip Plans-Your Comments?

Hi

We are planning to come up to OBX this May (1st week probably). Coming from mid-GA, will drive up Fri. Have Sat through Sat of next week.

We are thinking of splitting time between area around Nags Head (for all the sights) and Ocracoke for relaxing days. We want to see the sights, but also enjoy getting out in nature, so we thought we could get two different perspectives of the area.

Trying to decide which to do first and how many days per area. Will probably end up driving home Sat evening rather than a 10 or 11 hour drive Sun, so will be leaving either place around 2pm (Ocracoke ferry at 2pm or drive from Nags head area--or we could drive from Nags head to explore mainland the last day and have most of Sat on OBX).

We can do 3 full days and partial day (around 2pm) then travel in one area and 2 full days and partial in other area. First gp of days would be Sun-Tues/Wed in Nags Head area for sights (Jockey Ridge, Roanoake, Corolla, etc.) then drive down island to Ocracoke for Wed/Thurs-Sat (part) for day trip to Hatteras area, Portsmouth Island, around Island stuff.

We really enjoy quiet natural areas in some ways more than attractions, so I am leaning toward the extra day in Ocracoke area (3 full; 1 part leave at 2pm at latest) at end of trip and beginning at Nags Head area with (2 full and 1 part leave a bit later as required to get to Ocracoke by 6 or 7pm with leisurely drive.

Anyway, I would appreciate comments, suggestions, must see or do things (especially some non traditional attractions). We love to get out in nature and will be bringing our bicycles (fat tire) to explore too.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
OBX Campground
OBX Campground
48 Reviews
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Nags Head
Nags Head
Outer Banks, NC
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Hatteras Island
Hatteras Island
Outer Banks, NC
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OBX Tenative Trip Plans-Your Comments?

I would vote to spend another day on Ocracoke. In the beginning of the trip you can enjoy the Nag'e Head Manteo area, then finish with relaxation and nature at the end of the trip. I would also suggest maybe taking the late Cedar Island ferry on Sat and then spending the night someplace on the mainland NC or SC and continue a shorter drive on Sun AM?

Mentioned in this post
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
Manteo
Manteo
Roanoke Island, NC
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OBX Tenative Trip Plans-Your Comments?

I would plan to stay in Nags Head and use it as your base. A day trip to Ocracoke is a long day since it takes about 2.5 hrs to drive and ferry over to it and that's each way. The beaches their are not much, if any, better than Hatteras or north so you will likely just roam the town, have lunch, look at the boats and the lighthouse and leave.

Mentioned in this post
Nags Head
Nags Head
Outer Banks, NC
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
Hatteras Island
Hatteras Island
Outer Banks, NC
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OBX Tenative Trip Plans-Your Comments?

You mentioned that you wanted quiet and nature. Ocracoke offers much more of this than the upper banks. The temp early in May is not conducive to swimming at the beach, but perfect for walking, shell collecting, and wildlife watching. There is so much more to Ocracoke than walking around and having lunch. There is history, local culture, nature, and relaxation without the interference of fast food and traffic. You will not find any mini-golf, strip malls, or movie theatres, which are all well and good and have their place. However, that is what makes Ocracoke such a nice diversion from everyday life.

It definitely requires more than a day trip to fully appreciate all the island has to offer. We have been traveling there for 16 years and still count the days until our return.

Mentioned in this post
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OBX Tenative Trip Plans-Your Comments?

Our idea was to wind down in Ocracoke before going back home. I appreciate you feedback.

We really enjoy quiet natural settings so I think Ocracoke will be good for us. We were thinking of going over to Portsmouth Village one day. I read there is a ferry service.

The other day or two just to explore island, tool around on bikes and maybe do a boat trip although we will be riding ferry back.

Good idea about the later ferry and motel on way back to shorten Sunday drive. That would give us a couple of extra hours on island.

Thanks for all the help.

Mentioned in this post
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
Portsmouth Village
Portsmouth Village
61 Reviews
Ocracoke, NC
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OBX Tenative Trip Plans-Your Comments?

Yes lengthen your stay as much as possible, you will have a hard time leaving the island!

As for Portsmouth Island, there is no ferry service. To get there you will have to rent a boat or see if someone has a charter service for day trips. You should be able to easily find this out once you are there.

Do you know where you will be staying? Let us know if you need suggestions, there are many options.

Mentioned in this post
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OBX Tenative Trip Plans-Your Comments?

We are there either Tues evening through Sat afternoon or Wed evening through Sat afternoon.

We will either rent boat, do the ATV tour or I saw a ferry service option on website (I believe this person also runs boat tours on Ocracoke--think I saw his name). We will also go to the Point and do the walk there that is described on a website. Of course check out the beaches. We like to pick up shells (well my wife does). We will have our bikes so just wander around town. I have a long list of activities, but would love to hear personal recommendations.

I hope to rent a boat and go out cruising on our own one day.

Mentioned in this post
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
7. Re: OBX Tenative Trip Plans-Your Comments?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 15:19