We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deals if you wait?

Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Deals if you wait?

Hello all,

I'm planning a June vacation to the outerbanks for my family (wife, 3 kids and my parents). We have never been to OBX so we don't have a preference on which beach we stay at, are focus is economic at this point. We are looking for a semi-oceanfront or oceanfront house to hold 8 people. My questiuon is should we book now or if we wait will owners start discounting June weeks?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deals if you wait?

If you want to go and be on the oceanfront or close to it, I would book it. I have not seen too many discounts with rentals, however I am sure it happens.

I just prefer to have my plans set and know I have some place I am excited about going to, particularly coming from so far away. The $$$ saved is not worth it to me-plus the owners of these homes are dealing with the economy too. So I consider it good business and supporting another person in a community I enjoy visiting.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deals if you wait?

I agree with Lynn you taking a chance at looking for something at the last moment although it is done but from my experience what you will find at the last minute will be homes that way too big and over priced , the discount you get really isn't that much if they are offering a $5000 rental , but if your flexible give it a try but again like Lynn I like to know for sure when I go.

As newbies you might Like this site for new comers.

http://fishoinc.tripod.com/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deals if you wait?

I'm coming a long way for a June vacation as well, and wanted an oceanfront cottage. I learned that many of the available rentals will likely be heavily discounted in the coming weeks and months -- but *not* the prime oceanfront rentals.

In fact, looking in March at the realty companies' available rentals for my particular requirements, a lot were already being booked up. It was actually pretty solid, and we got the last available summer week for the cottage we wanted.

If price is a bigger consideration than location, then by all means -- wait and see. It's a personal choice. We booked now, and I am glad to have the peace of mind knowing that we're going to have a perfect cottage.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deals if you wait?

Not many owners, of these homes, DON'T have them ready for rent in March or April. Most seem to start their season May 1 and they tell us rental companies that they will have them ready by May 1, some wait for June 1. Rentals in early June are slower than the later part of the month and July and Aug are almost always booked early. The oceanfronts go first so unless you want to get something you don't want I would say to book it now, or soon. We have many many last minute calls for something available and they will want oceanfront 1st and anything close next so the smart owners know they don't have to discount.

Good luck, see ya when you get here.

5. Re: Deals if you wait?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 18:20