We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches and to do with kids

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches and to do with kids

We are staying in Manteo near Festival Park with a 3 1/2 yr old and 14 month old for 4 nights in August. Please let me know what are the best beaches to go to, any other activities we should do with the kids, and any great restaurants and ice cream places we must go to! Thanks!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches and to do with kids

Miami beach is nice, crowded. Maybe you mean around here, they are all the same so go to any of them, there is very little difference in sand and salt water.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches and to do with kids

Pick a beach in Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head that is life guarded. There are plenty of public beach access areas in the above mentioned towns. Keep a close eye on both kids. Sometimes the larger waves can sneak up on you. The kids would love visiting the aquarium in Manteo, go-carts (for the older one) are just about everywhere, flying a kite on Jockeys Ridge, rent a pontoon boat for a few hours and put-put around the sound, walk out on and/or fish off of a pier, build sand castles and chase the crabs. One of the ice cream places we like is Kill Devils Frozen Custard and Fries. There are also lots of Dairy Queens. Don't forget to pick up your snacks at a Brew Thru. On your way down you can stop at the Morris Farm Market (clean, private bathrooms and free samples) and Grave Diggers Monster Truck HQ.

Steve

Purcellville...
Level Contributor
309 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches and to do with kids

Miami beach is not nice, been there a dozen times and it's filthy!!Unlike the beaches of the Outer banks. The waves can get big and the riptides can be unforgiving. With kids the age of yours, I would try and hit the beaches at low tide. You can often find tide pools that the kids can play in. Dont forget buckets and shovels for sand castles!

My guess is OBX200 is trying to detere tourists. Not the plan my friend since it's 99% of the economy there.

I'll be in the Manteo area next week. I will try and post some must do's after we get down there.

Hopefully some of the other posters can be more help.

Have a great time in OBX

SYOTR

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches and to do with kids

Thanks - I would love to hear any updates you have! I agree, I was a little put off by the first guy's Miami Beach comment, but having lived there for a few years, I'm more the wiser!

5. Re: Beaches and to do with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2010, 06:23