We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild horse tours + other advice

Clarktson, MI
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Wild horse tours + other advice

Heading to KDH in a couple weeks. Would like to take the family on a wild horse tour. Kids are 3,7,10. Any recommendations? I've seen quite a few companies but don't know how to compare them? Do they all cost the same? I'm thinking a enclosed car vs. an open jeep.

Also any advice for hanging out on the beach? I hear the wind sometimes gets so much that it's "uncomfortable" with the blowing sand.

Would a pop up umbrella survive the wind?

Any other advice you have to make our trip a memorable one would be appreciated

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild horse tours + other advice

The day after Thanksgiving last year we took the family, 6 adults and grad daughters 3 an 5 on a tour through Wild Horse Safari. The trip was great fun, the guide was very knowledgeable, and we went places I've never gone and wouldn't go in my own 4x4. Highly recommend these folks.

We obviously filled up the Suburban. One comment I've heard by a few people that prefer the drive yourself Jeep tours is that they don't get stuck in a closed Suburban with strangers. Tell you what, 2.5 hours on the beach and behind the dunes with temps in the mid to high eighties isn't my cup of tea. I vote for A/C.

www.outerbankstours.com/wildhorsesafari/

PA
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild horse tours + other advice

If you use a beach umbrella, you may want to use a sand anchor to help hold it down. The wind can be quite powerful.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild horse tours + other advice

We used Bob's Tours one year and really enjoyed it. We learned alot about the area and saw some many horses and interesting sites. I would have to say however that your 3 year old may get a bit bored after awhile. Also, if anyone is prone to carsickness, they also may want to think again. The ride can be pretty bumpy. Eat a light snack before going, and remember, there's nowhere to stop to go to the bathroom.

4. Re: Wild horse tours + other advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2010, 05:16