We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ocean temperatures

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
ocean temperatures

Hi, I have researched this but still need some further advice. Is the ocean still warm enough to swim in October? Specifically Oct 17-24th? We are staying in the 4X4 area, realizing that this is considerably more north than some other areas of the OBX. Thank you for your help. We ususally visit in the summer and the ocean is very warm, we are hoping that it takes a while to cool off! MM

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ocean temperatures

After researching I found this site that may be helpful. It says the temps are typically in the upper 60's-that is pretty chilly for swimming unless you have a wetsuit. Still a nice time of year to visit though.

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
487 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ocean temperatures

I agree it's a nice time to visit, but be prepared for some chilly water. I would say it's still swimable, but I'm sure it will be a shock to the system when you first get in. I would look into getting a wetsuit or maybe even some rash guards (Lands End has them on sale right now) to make it not quite so hard on you. For me it would be hard to be at the beach and not at least try to get in the water so I can understand why you're asking! Hope you're able to swim on your trip!

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ocean temperatures

It will depend on storm action.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ocean temperatures

Thanks you guys for your input. we live in maryland and in june our ocean temp is in the mid 60's. i have braved it many years, so maybe i can brave those same low temps again! thanks again. we were here at the outer banks in June and we couldn't wait until next year for a return trip. Looking forward to chilling, fishing, watching the horsies, and forgetting every-day life. We did wimp-out and got a house with a heated pool: my 53yo bones are getting a little more "stiff". This is our 10th trip, and I can honestly say, I am never so happy as when I am in the 4X4 area of the OBX. it's magic!

5. Re: ocean temperatures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 05:26