We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General info on outer banks

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
336 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
General info on outer banks

Just beginning research on a possible trip to Outer Banks, NC at end of October. Some questions:

Is that a nice time of year weather-wise to travel here?

Where is the nearest major airport?

Is a car rental necessary?

These are my main questions to start. Thanks in advance for any help!

Dublin, GA
Level Contributor
284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General info on outer banks

Our family gathered on OBX in May for our son's wedding. Several flew into Norfolk, VA. Yes, I think you'd want to have a rental car.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General info on outer banks

October is a good time but the weather is questionable

the nights are generally cool and warm days .But it can be cold and nasty too.

Closest Airport is Norfolk and you will need transportation from there as it is 1 1/2 hr drive south and depending on where you are going to stay

You might look into 4 wheel drive as you can drive on some parts of the beach here.

Here is a site just for new comers if you care to look I hope it helps

http://fishoinc.tripod.com/

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General info on outer banks

As the others have said, you will want a car while here. You can get transportation to and from the airport, but you will not be close enough to walk to much else.

The two closest airports, not including the smaller private ones, are KPHF (Williamsburg) and KORF (Norfolk). KPHF is only about 10 min farther away and the rates to there can often save a lot of money, but there are a lot less flights in and out to choose from.

Sept and Oct both can be beautiful all week or, like the last week and maybe this week, it can blow and rain all day with a sunny day here and there. Because of that you will want the car to investigate the 100 miles of Outer Banks.

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General info on outer banks

You will want to rent a car. The Norfolk airport shuttle is pricey: at least $135 each way for the first person, and $50 each way for the rest of your party. http://www.calltheconnection.com/map.html

Four people to and from Nags Head is $590.

You can rent a car from Dollar Rent a Car at the Norfolk airport for a week for less than half of that.

www.dollar.com/Reservations/AllCars.aspx

If you visit the Dollar website, enter ORF and select your dates. Then click on city specials. I found a Dodge Caravan for $267.74 per week from 10/24-10/31.

You will definitely need a car down here. Cab service stinks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
92 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General info on outer banks

I just posted a trip report from this weekend, and didn't mention that although the days were warm, it got cool enough in the evening on the beach to warrant a sweatshirt and jeans. This was my first trip to Outer Banks and it was wonderful. Staying in the Hatteras area was perfect - quiet, not crowded or the least bit touristy, etc. You will definitely need a car, prefereably a 4WD if possible.

Lake Ridge, Virginia
Level Contributor
450 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General info on outer banks

I would recommend driving from PA, that way you have your own car, rather than mess with airports, security, and car rentals, and then OBX is still pretty far from Norfolk Int. Just my opinion. We come here every two years, and just love it, I am a slave to my kid's school schedules, so we always rent a house the end of August, when it is HOT and the water is pretty warm. I have always wanted to come in September when the houses drop in price and I have heard is a great time of year. Once you go to OBX, you will always come back, it will be in your blood :) Hope you have a great time! BTW, just my opinion again, but my favorite place there is Duck, and second Corolla. I am not a huge fan of Nags Head and Kill Devil Hills.

7. Re: General info on outer banks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2010, 04:17