We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Nights - Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo or Avon or Buxton/Hatteras

New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
3 Nights - Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo or Avon or Buxton/Hatteras

In July, there a various motel/resort-type places scattered on Hatteras Island that allow you to stay 3 nights (instead of a week).

During this time, we would like to:

1) Visit Ocracoke Island

2) Relax on Beach

3) Eat local seafood

4) Relax on Beach

5) Deep Sea Fishing or go to Spa

6) Relax on Beach

Would you suggest Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo or Avon or Buxton/Frisco/Hatteras?

It seems that Buxton & Hatteras have more restaurants, and may be more accommodating (for a 3 night stay) than Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo or Avon?

Do you agree?

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Nights - Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo or Avon or Buxton/Hatteras

Yes, Buxton/Hatteras would be the best choice. (IMHO) Make some time to visit the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and National Seashore, there too.

We've stayed at the Falcon Motel (now the Croatoan Inn) and Cape Pines Motel in Buxton; I would highly recommend both places. I don't remember the names of the seafood restaurants where we've eaten in/around Buxton, but all have been good. (One was located across the street from the now Croatoan Inn)

New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Nights - Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo or Avon or Buxton/Hatteras

Thx, but neither the Falcon Motel (now the Croatoan Inn) and Cape Pines Motel in Buxton are located on the beach. Both are located 'in the town' of Buxton.

Would this matter? Is there a significant difference between motels/resorts located on the beach vs. in the town of Buxton?

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Nights - Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo or Avon or Buxton/Hatteras

If relaxing on the beach is your first priority (which now looking back I'm guessing that it is, since you mentioned it 3 times; lol) then you'd probably be happier at an oceanfront motel/hotel. We own a beach house on Holden Beach (near Wilmington, NC) which is a much better beach area, (warmer, calmer waters, etc.) so when we visit the Outer Banks it's much more for the other activities: fishing, kayaking, visiting nature and historic sites, etc. than it is for the beach. There are public beach accesses near the town of Buxton, and throughout the Outer Banks; if we need a beach day, we just pack our beach stuff and a picnic lunch and go to one of those areas; some have nice bathhouses. FYI, the Outer Banks are known for their strong currents; swim where there are lifeguards and stay near shore.

New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Nights - Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo or Avon or Buxton/Hatteras

Are the currents particularly stronger in one area?

Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo or Avon or Buxton/Hatteras ?

Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Nights - Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo or Avon or Buxton/Hatteras

I think Buxton would be your best bet. There are a couple nice restaurants in Buxton (though, I would consider Avon to have the most). I would sugeest Rusty's in Buxton and the Sandbar Grill.

I would stay away from Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo if you plan to go to Ocracoke - I feel the additional length of the drive down to the ferry would make the trip feel way too long.

There's a great spa in Avon - Spa Koru. I frequent their yoga classes when I go.

As for beach, if you're looking for less current - I might suggest the south shore beaches... anything south of the lighthouse in Buxton. (But I'm no expert)

Good luck!

6. Re: 3 Nights - Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo or Avon or Buxton/Hatteras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2010, 07:17