We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some questions...

Long Island
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Some questions...

Hi,

Planning our first trip to NC and want to be in the Outer Banks.

Which part of the Outer Banks is good for family with kids? Lots to do besides beach. We'll be between 10-12 people looking to rent a house.

Any realtor that's reputable to recommend? Have heard lots of horror stories in the past and want to feel comfortable knowing that the realtor we use is not going to steer us in the wrong direction. Need a clean, well maintained house.

Any recommendations on area and realtor are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some questions...

Hi! please read the lengthy post that is titled Resort Realty. I have taken my family to Duck for over 20 years from the time they were babies and now adults and loved it. I have never had a bad experience with any of the realty companies I have used. Stuff breaks in any house and they send someone to repair as soon as they can. Sun, Twiddy, Resort Realty, Stan white have been good to us.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
277 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some questions...

We always use Hatteras Realty or Outer Beaches Realty - no complaints!

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
70 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some questions...

For the most to do, stay in the Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, or Nags Head area. This is where the most restaurants, stores, and activities (bowling, mini golf, movies, jet ski rentals, etc.) are located. The towns are centrally situated if you want to explore the other areas of the OBX.

As for rental agency, I usually am not concerned by which company. Rather, I search to find the best house that matches my needs and budget.

That said, any company can have a problem with a house.

Follow some smple guidelines to protect yourself. I always videotape the condition of the house when I arrive and leave, to have a record showing I left the house in good shape and did not break anything. I check to make sure everything is working (hot tub warm and running, TV's work, appliances functional, Internet access, etc.) and immediately report any item that is not. I then follow up, twice a day if needed, with the rental agency until the problem is corrected. I very rarely had any problem take more than a day or two to resolve.

Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some questions...

I must agree with 76Heel - have had great experiences with both Outer Beaches and Hatteras Realty.

Part of it depends on what area of the Outer Banks you are looking to visit - as these two deal with houses on Hatteras Island (where as Duck is further North).

Good Luck and enjoy!

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
402 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Some questions...

If your interests lie more towards the northern beaches (Southern Shores up to the 4 wheel drive area), try Twiddy, Brindley Beach, Elan, Outer Banks Blue. These are all good rental companies with lots of homes to look at. To help you narrow down your area choices, visit the Dare or Currituck County visitor websites. These have more info on the specific areas.

Good luck!

6. Re: Some questions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2010, 05:16