We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am very confused!!

Harrison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
175 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
I am very confused!!

Hi guys...

We normally hit Topsail Island every year. We have decided to try a different beach. I have three kids (12, 8 and 5). I tend to like the family oriented , quiet and not to crowded beaches. That is what we find in Topsail. But we have noticed the kids get tired of going in the ocean all week and would like to be able to get to the more commercial areas which is why we are looking into the Outer Banks.

I know absolutely NOTHING about this part of Nc. I have asked and was told Corolla maybe what I am looking for.

We are late in the year , so I know there isn't a whole lot of homes to rent left. I have found a few that all have pools..which is great..

In Topsail, you could be oceanfront-meaning you go down the deck stairs and are on the beach. There are also not oceanfront homes where there is a public access or a private access for these renters.

I am confused with the houses..there are a few with "Currituck amenities" which I don't know what that is. I think it said it has a trolley to the beach?I haven't really found any directly oceanfront..at least in my price range..HOw far can some of these houses be from the beach?

Is the beach really crowded? I see a lot more dunes than in Topsail..Are their access along the way? Do I want to look elsewhere? Maybe I am in the wrong area for what I am looking for? I don't want to be anywhere near a boardwalk...

Thanks in advance you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alexandria
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am very confused!!

I would check out Sun Realty, their search engine and GoogleMaps can tell you exactly where the rental is in location to the beach. This comes in handy because some companies say oceanfront or ocean views and aren't telling customers there's one window with an ocean view. Their website is http://www.sunrealtync.com. I've stayed with them the last 8 years and never had a problem. Good luck!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I am very confused!!

There are many rental companies to pick from but not all have homes in all areas. I would suggest Nags Head. From there you are close to lots of other things to do other than beach. You are not another 1.5 hours north in Corolla or south in Hatteras, both are nice if you want more quiet areas where the beach is more the draw.

None of the beaches here are very crowded, certainly not like other beaches. Avoid hotels or public assesses and they will be even less crowded, even in Kitty Hawk to Nags Head. Here are some rental companies that use this area, Sun has already been mentioned.

Kitty Dunes

Joe Lamb Realty

Village Realty

Stan White

Resorts

Atlantic

Beach Realty

Harrison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
175 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am very confused!!

So is Corolla more secluded than Nags Head? If I go to Corolla..will there be other things to do? We are coming from Topsail where basically there is only the beach to do..I don't need heavy commercial... Just some neat NC things to go see.

What about Duck..I seem to be finding houses there.. A lot of the houses that are not oceanfront seem to be available with pools which is nice.

I just know my kids by the third day last summer...didn't want to come down to the ocean..they were pretty beat up from the undertow and the sand hitting them(even with rashguards) . I love the view and sound of the ocean..but tend not to go in too much . We hit some strong currents last year and there were a couple of days we had to not go in past our knees..

4. Re: I am very confused!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2011, 20:00
Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
75 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I am very confused!!

I know you are looking for the Outer Banks area, but have you considered one of the Brunswick County beaches (Holden, Ocean Isle, Sunset)? I especially like Sunset. It is very family oriented on the island, because of the south facing beaches the ocean is much less vigorous that it is on the Outer Banks, and in 15 minutes you have North Myrtle Beach for the "other" kinds of stuff that keep kids occupied (plus shopping, etc....).

The one thing about Sunset, though, is that no homes have direct beach access. All the homes are built behind the dunes and every few houses there is an access to the beach. It is a bit of a hassle but it is also why their beach is so nice.

Harrison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
175 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am very confused!!

Thanks so much you guys..I did end up looking at the websites..It seems Duck, corolla and southern shores are more quieter..but when I mapquested the area to Nag's head ..it said about 20minutes. I don't mind driving a bit to go do the "fun stuff"..

So I am just generally looking for Outer Banks rentals at this point..and I keep coming across some nice looking place in the Currictuck community and Monteray shores community? These seem to be golf courses..has anyone stayed over in these areas? Are they nice? real far from the beach? Does it take away from the "beachy" feel?

Thanks so much and I am sorry to keep asking questions..I am just very confused since this area is very foreign to me. I do appreciate the suggestion of different areas..but we were looking to be north of Topsail this year. Kind of cutting down our drive a bit.

Michigan
Level Contributor
72 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I am very confused!!

I have made this suggestion before here but would like to recommend www.pirates-cove.com Itis a small community across the bridge in Nag's Head (although officially it is in Manteo). You can rent a home or a condo on the Sound. You have the beautiful views and it is not as expensive as the oceanside/oceanfront homes closer to the beach. It is about a 5 minute drive to the beach (any beach that you choose. Some are more crowded than others, as people have already stated).

Pirate's Cove is a small gated community. The kids can bring bikes, skateboards, rollerblades, Ripstiks, etc and roam all over the property (which is pretty big with all the streets and circles). The speed limit is 15 inside, so the kids are relatively safe.

There is a large pool with lots of activities daily. The kids can fish or swim off the deck in the Sound. We bring our kayaks and our house that we rent comes with another kayak. The kids love going out and looking for dolphins.

I absolutely love Pirate's Cove and have returned there many times over the last 8 years. We have rented on the beach and also oceanview. In my view, if you are not oceanfront, you have to pack up everything and haul it to the beach. Walking 5 minutes or driving 5 minutes is pretty much the same to me for getting to the beach.

In general I love OBX and can't wait to begin my vacation there this summer! Good luck with your choice!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I am very confused!!

Each town is only 5 miles long so to go to Nags Head from Southern Shores you pass through Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills which are both 5 miles long so you only have to go 10 miles down a 5 lane highway.

When you go up rt 12 from Kitty Hawk to Corolla you are on a 2 lane road that can putt-putt and back up sometimes adding more drive time. I think Southern Shores would be a nice fist visit place, there is pleanty to do just 5-15 miles south of you.

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I am very confused!!

Currituck Club is built around a golf course. I don't consider it beachy at all. Currituck Club amenities include the pool and club house and the jitney to take you to their beach access--actually 1/4 mile or more from the actual beach access. A lot of us wonder why Monteray Shores was built in the first place. No golf course, beach access or jitney. Those visitors vie for the few free parking places in Whalehead, along with Whalehead folks 4 or more back. Get there early if you want a spot.

This website will show you the various areas in Corolla.

http://www.twiddy.com/homes/corolla/

There is plenty of grocery shopping and other shopping in Corolla, as well as dining, a skateboard park, jet-skis, kayaks, eco-tours, go carts, mini-golf and an arcade.

Allentown...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: I am very confused!!

Dear Confused,

I've been going to the Outer Banks for 10 years with my husband and six children and have rented in the Corolla area specifically Monterey Shores, Corolla Light and Whalehead. My favorite is Monterey Shores as I love the community it is in. The area has trees and gives it a shaded tropical feel. I would suggest a home with a pool because it is so convenient but this community also has a community pool and clubhouse and there are daily activities for the children. Even if your rental has a private pool your children can still participate in the community pool activities. You can rent bikes and kayaks in the community itself .. so convenient. There is a soundfront dock to watch the sunset and ponds to observe nature. Although it does not have Trolley Service the distance to the beach is a short bike ride or car drive away. The parking lots in Whalehead for your use have never been crowded. The beaches are wide with white soft sand and have lifeguards. There is lots to do in this area: Currituck Lighthouse, an estuarine sanctuary, movie theatre, mini golf, lots of shops, grocery store, rental for jeep ride to see horses, a skatepark etc.

Corolla Light is very nice also and also has Trolley Service. Whalehead is OK but the homes are out in the open with hardly any trees for shade. When you find a home you like use BingMaps to get a birdseye view. I rented from Brindley, Kitty Dunes and Elan. All were very good although Brindley does not charge any extra fees. Good Luck!

Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks