We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Richmond

Glen Gardner, NJ
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from Richmond

Hi, We are leaving Richmond at 10am (no choice) Sat. morning. Any suggestions on best route would be appreciated. Yes, I've read these forums enough to expect a ton of traffic. Thanks.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
279 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Richmond

We always take 460 (less traffic but slower speed limit) to 64 and take exit for OBX to Chesapeake Espressway.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Richmond

When I lived in Fredericksburg Va and came here I often used 460 in the summer to avoid Norfolk and the never ending road construction there. It is a little longer but it moves and there are more things to see on the way.

Chesapeake, VA
Level Contributor
149 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Richmond

I live in Chesapeake. Here's the deal - Take the Monitor Merrimac tunnel to 64. Don't chance the HRBT. Your biggest problem, however, will be once you get to 168 - 158 south. The time of day you are leaving is gonna put you smack dab in the middle of every other person going down there for the week. Most check-in times are 3 or 4 PM, so expect a pretty nice bumper-to-bumper delay once you get around Grandy, NC going south. Every roadside produce stand, Gravedigger's place, there will be a backup. Just make sure you relieve yourself before you get to those areas and relax, because there ain't nothing you can do about it.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from Richmond

460 definitely at that time It might be slower by MPH but faster as you never have a traffic problem

Glen Gardner, NJ
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from Richmond

Thank you all for your help. I mapped out 460 and will give it a shot. (then tough it out the rest of the way)

6. Re: Best route from Richmond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 06:16