We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need license to rent boat?

Olean, New York
8 posts
Save Topic
Need license to rent boat?

I'm lookind into renting a boat during my upcoming trip, and was wondering if you need a boating license to do so? I'm not from NC , so I'm not familiar with the rules there. Thanks!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need license to rent boat?

Check here for the regs:

http://www.ncwildlife.org/

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need license to rent boat?

Where are you staying and what size are you looking to rent because it is limited .

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need license to rent boat?

If you plan on fishing, please make sure you have a license, I heard they're strict about it and do check. All fishing shops sell them, and they're available for a weekly or annual license (pretty cheap, I think 1 yr is only $15.00). I think Fishing Unlimited on the causeway to Manteo still rents boats. You could try there as a start.

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need license to rent boat?

I don't believe so, but check with these folks to be sure.

http://fishingunlimited.net/RentalBoats.html

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need license to rent boat?

There is no boating liscense required to rent a boat assuming you are not looking for a yacht. There are depoits that apply of coures and many may have a clause in the rental agreement that includes similar wording as this taken out of a marina rental...."Boat Renters must show and/or demonstrate boat handling experience. Boats will be inspected after each use for damage caused by running boat aground. Repair for damages will be at renters expense. Boats are not insured to go offshore..."

Smooth Sailing!

Olean, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need license to rent boat?

Thanks for all the help! We're really not too concerned with fishing, just want to go boating for a couple hours. Looking into Fishing Unlimited and Grog's....any opinions on the two, or any other suggestions? There will be 4 people in my party.

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need license to rent boat?

Sunset Watersports rents pontoon boats out of Duck if you'd like to be on the Currituck Sound.

…jnjs3.com/ordereze/Content/Summary.aspx…

Grogs and Fishing Unlimited are down on the Manteo/Nags Head causeway.

Don't know how the prices are this time of year.

Enjoy.

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need license to rent boat?

Sunset Watersports rents pontoon boats out of Duck if you'd like to be on the Currituck Sound.

…jnjs3.com/ordereze/Content/Summary.aspx…

Grogs and Fishing Unlimited are down on the Manteo/Nags Head causeway.

Don't know how the prices are this time of year.

Enjoy.

9. Re: Need license to rent boat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2011, 05:17