We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to OB. Best place to stay?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
424 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
First time to OB. Best place to stay?

My partner and I are planning our first trip to the Outer Banks this coming summer. We'll most likely be staying during the last week of June.

We've never been to the NC coast, and we are really looking forward to it. However, we're clueless about what area we should stay in.

We love small beachtowns with lots of personality, good food and beautiful beaches. We'd love to be able to rent a vacation home on the water.

We'll have a car, so we don't mind driving around to explore the areas around where we'll be staying. We just need to find a central, beautiful location to stay.

Any ideas?

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to OB. Best place to stay?

Each area has a little something to offer that other areas don't and it sort of depends on what you want and what you like. If you want privacy and less people then Hatteras Island might be your thing. There are oceanfront homes and lots of beach but you are in an area that has less things to do and at one end of the Outer Banks.

Corolla area offers some larger homes at the other end of the Outer banks many are oceanfronts. They have bike paths and a fair amount of things to do.

Since you mentioned central area I would think of Nags Head. The Nags Head area offers the most to do in the way of things other than the beach and it is centrally located. You can drive an hour south to Hatteras or an hour north to Corolla to check out those areas. Nags Head to Kitty Hawk also has a load of oceanfront homes to pick from. There will be more people there than the two ends of the Outer Banks but it is not even close to the crowds you see in other beach resorts like Myrtle or Va Beach.

Good luck with the search.

Virginia
Level Contributor
318 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to OB. Best place to stay?

I too recommend Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, or Kitty Hawk for their central location in the OBX. It would be interesting to know what beachtown you might cite as an example of what you are looking for when you say "small beachtown with lots of personality." The lower OBX has Manteo and Hatteras, which I think are both loaded with "personality." Manteo is not on the beach, however. It is on one of the sounds. There is so much to see here, and all of it is beautiful. This is not an overblown, over developed resort area: no high rise buildings here; no amusement parks; no boardwalk. Plenty of good restaurants too; interesting local history; varying styles of beach architecture; and lots of local artists. Local realty companies have oceanfront condos at reasonable prices in June--just before the high season prices kick in in July.

The OBX is a great place to vacation. I think you will enjoy it no matter where you decide to stay.

3. Re: First time to OB. Best place to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 05:16