We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitoes and congestion

Wash.
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
mosquitoes and congestion

We are from Washington State and are planning on a July trip to the OBX (probably nags head area) . . . after doing much research, I have 2 areas of concern before traveling across the country

1) Mosquitoes - I know it varies depending on rain, wind and spring weather, but generally speaking is it likely we will have to cover ourselves with OFF before venturing outside on a daily basis - or does it take 20-30 mph winds to drive them away (not too appealing either)

2) Traffic. Born and raised in Seattle, and we vacation in Charleston SC frequently and the Myrtle Beach traffic in the summer doesn't drive us crazy - so can we handle OBX? I know time of day/weekends are factors, but are the highways stop-and-go most of the time mile after mile - some of the posts make it sound like Miami Beach or something - are there 1-hour waits for restaurants etc. (we have kids)

thanks in advance for any insights you can give!

Mentioned in this post
OBX Campground
OBX Campground
50 Reviews
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitoes and congestion

Neither are going to be a concern for you.

Bugs are often spoken of when people talk about the Outer Banks, but the Outer banks is 100 miles long and the Nags Head area is not particularly a bad bug area as is Ocracoke or parts of Hatteras Island which are worse. Woody areas like Southern Shores can be awful, but Nags Head is not bad. If we get west winds the flies can be blown in, but that is not all that often and maybe would be a day or so here and there.

Traffic - I just came from St Louis and I often drive to the Wash DC area and the traffic is like a Nascar race in those places. When people here complain about traffic it is because they have to wait for 8 cars in front of them at an intersection or they have to wait 1 min to turn left. When I go out of this area the traffic is like nothing you ever see here - EVER, I am so glad to come back here. Saturday traffic coming into the area can and will be bad, so come on Sunday if you can or plan to be here early, like before 1pm. The 2 lane road up to Corolla is a nightmare on Saturday doing 10 mph for 30 miles and this may be what people are complaining about, but it's not bad in the Kitty hawk to Nags Head area.

Edited: 21 November 2010, 14:38
Mentioned in this post
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Nags Head
Nags Head
Outer Banks, NC
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
Hatteras Island
Hatteras Island
Outer Banks, NC
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Kitty Hawk
Kitty Hawk
Outer Banks, NC
Kill Devil Hills...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitoes and congestion

The mosquitos will not bother you. They mostly come out at night though so you'll want to spray yourself then. The traffic is bad on Saturdays but that's to be expected since it's turnover day. Restaurants will have long lines in the summer. Most people stay in vacation rentals, so restauraunt lines can be long but many people choose to cook themselves and save money so it's really not that bad. Avoid eating out on Thursday and Fridays. Those are the busiest as people who have been there all week are sick of cooking for theie families and usually go out their last couple nights in town.

OBX
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitoes and congestion

Welcome to the East Coast, glad you are coming in. Nags Head is a great location, close to all, but also away from it all. Plenty of places to shop, good beaches to play on, and some great restaurants.

Working in the restaurant field for 10 yrs, you will have long lines during the summer, but they do tend to move quickly. If you have a special need family member, then be sure to make plans for dinner. If not, you are on vacation, leave the stress behind. Some restaurants take reservations, call ahead. Many have great waiting areas with fish tanks, gift shops, fish ponds, walkways over the water, etc. My suggestion, if you usually eat as a family at 6pm, head out around 5:45, if at 7pm head out around 6:30.

Bugs will be found all over but Nags Head is not as bad as other places, mainly because there are very little trees and very little marshes. south Nags Head can be bad with them. You will need to spray in the evening if you are going to be out for walking or bike riding. Wind does nock them down, but in July don't count on a breeze.

Traffic is brutal on Saturday the flip day. Being the island is 110 miles long, it takes the tourist till around Wednesday to learn where everything is. We only have 2 roads, it can be brutal on us locals that end up leaving late for work, our problem not yours. There are many sites to see, and many things to do, I suggest plan your day in one area and not be driving most of the day to get from here to there. A must see is the island of Ocracoke, bring bikes for the family or rent them there. That is a great day trip, along the way stop on Hatteras Island and visit the great shops along the way. (also some of the best fishing is in the Rodanteh-Waves-Salvo areas) Another day could be spent in Manteo, outdoor theatre on the water in the evening (yes bring the spray). Corolla is a hike, but shouldn't be missed, totally different development than the main beaches.

Glad you are coming, don't stress, enjoy the ride here, and have an overall safe vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Nags Head
Nags Head
Outer Banks, NC
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
Hatteras Island
Hatteras Island
Outer Banks, NC
Salvo
Salvo
Hatteras Island, NC
Manteo
Manteo
Roanoke Island, NC
Philadelphia...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitoes and congestion

Mesquitoes won't be much of a concern. They come out mostly in the evening and at night. As others have said, Nags Head is not real bad for mosquitos. I don't think traffic will be anything you aren't used to except on the weekend when everyone is staring and ending their vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Nags Head
Nags Head
Outer Banks, NC
5. Re: mosquitoes and congestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2011, 07:50