We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1ST time to Outer Banks ??

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
369 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
1ST time to Outer Banks ??

A group of girls will be driving to outer banks this may . We are staying at Barrier Island Station in Duck. Ages 20-55 7 of us .Any good reccomendations on things to do , places to see , Places to eat??? Middle of may what will weather be ~ What to pack?? Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1ST time to Outer Banks ??

Duck has some nice places to eat, but you are not far from one of my favorites. Colington Cafe in KDH is worth a visit. Make a reservation just in case. The Life Saving Station in the Sanderling is very upscale and they have great food.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1ST time to Outer Banks ??

Thank you , dont want to sound stupid , KDH is where? Also if you would have a # to make reservations would be great!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1ST time to Outer Banks ??

Kill Devil Hills ~ How far away is this Cafe? Looked it up & looks like a wonderful place to try if you couls dend a # so I can make arrangements ahead of time would be great! We will be there 14th for a week , not sure if this is a busy time ??

Thanks again

Lori

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1ST time to Outer Banks ??

Colington Cafe is 16 or so miles from Duck in the Colington area of Kill Devil Hills.

Here's some info on Duck for you.

http://www.duckncguide.com/

Weather likely will be between 65 and 80. Ocean maybe 65-68 depending on the wind direction.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1ST time to Outer Banks ??

Here's a few places to dine in Duck. Go to Sanderling Inn for lunch and get a massage or go for dinner one night. The Blue Point is outstanding.

Fishbone's Raw Bar and Restaurant @ 1171 Duck Rd., Duck, NC 252 - 261 - 6691.

Roadside Raw Bar and Grill @ 1193 Duck Road, Kitty Hawk, NC 252 - 261 - 5729.

Sooey's BBQ @ 1177 Duck Road, Duck, NC 252 - 449 - 2271.

http://www.sooeysbbq.com/

Sunset Grille and Raw Bar @ 1264 Duck Rd, Kitty Hawk, NC 252 - 261 - 3901.

fishbonessunsetgrille.com/ordereze/splash/

The Blue Point Restaurant @ 1240 Duck Road, Duck, NC 252 - 261 - 8090.

http://www.thebluepoint.com/

The Sanderling Inn and Spa @ 1461 Duck Road, Duck, NC 800 - 701 - 4111.

http://www.thesanderling.com/

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1ST time to Outer Banks ??

I don't want to come across as too negative. But my family rented a beautiful home near the beach; within walking distance. We were there last June. Beaches are nice. Great sand for the kids and for laying out.

But trafiic is very busy. OBX is very developed and commercialized. I believe way too much to the point of tackiness.

For my family it was either its not the greatest place. Or it is a simple case of too many people telling us how great a time we would have. Everyone I knew that spent time at the OBX said the place was just incredible.

Well it is OK in my opinion. I can think of many places to visit instead for the money.

I think if you live in that area of the country, I can understand the appeal for a weekend getaway.

But traveling from Michigan, its not worth it. I would rather go elsewhere.

I am sure you will like it but don't expect too much.

7. Re: 1ST time to Outer Banks ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2011, 20:01
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1ST time to Outer Banks ??

You should be right across the street from the Sunset grill (as the name would suggest is right on the sound with pretty views). The food is really mediocre but they have some fun drinks.

Also, recommend you check out TimBuckii shopping center in Corolla. They have a bunch of great restaurants and shops.

http://galwithablog.blogspot.com/

Edited: 27 February 2011, 21:30
united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1ST time to Outer Banks ??

It doesn't seem like there are many "things to do" suggestions yet, so let me offer these ideas-

In Corolla, Currituck Light is a great place to see. The views from the top are amazing. Also, you very well could see wild ponies while driving in the area. They have an interesting history...there are some places that offer information about them and even will take you out to see them in the "wild".

The Wright Brothers Memorial is definitely a must see, in my opinion. Great interpretive Center and really puts the whole scenario in perspective for you.

Jockey's Ridge is a great place for the adventurerer who would like to try hang-gliding. They also have a fantastic kite shop there.

Fort Raleigh and the Eliabethan Gardens on Roanoke Island are interesting, as is the Elizabeth II in Manteo. If "the Lost Colony" is playing, you should make plans to watch it, but I think it doesn't start until June.

If you are willing to drive a couple hours, you could go down to Hatteras and see that lighthouse and stop in Rodanthe on the way to see where they filmed the movie. Last I heard the house was still there, anyway.

If you are interested in waterfowl, the Pea Island Reserve is a neat place for birdwatching.

Regarding crowds, since your visit is in mid-May, I don't think you will be in the middle of all that madness...schools won't be out yet. But, because its before Memorial Day, not all the businesses will be open yet, so double check and/or make reservations to be sure that places you want to go are indeed open.

MD
Level Contributor
737 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1ST time to Outer Banks ??

Here are the restaurants that, in my opinion, are worth checking out in your area:

Duck (lots to choose from, here's the best tasting/most interesting places)

- Red Sky cafe

- Blue Point

- Aqua S

Corolla (just 15 mins north of you in Tim Buck II shopping center)

- Mike Dianna's

- North Banks Raw Bar and Grill

- Fin and Claw

Places like Fishbones and Sunset Grille look nice, but the food is less than ideal. All of the restaurants listed above are creative and delicious food experiences. I include Colington Cafe in Kill Devil Hills in this class as well.