We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitors ... need some advice pls

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitors ... need some advice pls

My hubby and I are going to visit OBX for the first time this fall (mid-September is our target date). It will just be the two of us. We prefer to stay in hotels/motels ... since I refuse to cook while traveling (hey, I'm on vacation, too! ha!) and since we spend most of our waking ours out and about, we don't need a kitchen nor the space of condo/house.

We were thinking of staying in the KDH/Nags Head area because we thought that we'd be closer to more dining options and because it seems to be fairly centrally located, making it convenient for our day trips north and south.

We prefer to pay less for lodging, if possible, so we can stay longer ... based on the TA reviews, we were thinking about Colony IV by the Sea in KDH. But we're open to recommendations; we'd like to keep the room rate at/around $100/night.

Thanks in advance (and how in the world did we ever travel before TA?).

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitors ... need some advice pls

I have no idea what the rates are but Colony IV is very nice and has an indoor pool and is oceanfront. There are many motels in KDH and Nags Head to choose.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
753 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitors ... need some advice pls

Before renting a house, we always stayed at the Beacon Motor Lodge. It's not luxury, but it's a nice place. They have about 10 oceanfront rooms that you can't beat. Although, most people are yearly returners and book these rooms a year in advance.

The rooms are small (bathrooms are VERY small), just a queen bed, TV, microwave, and mini fridge but they lead directly onto a beautiful patio that's right on the beach. If your looking at spending most your time outdoors, this is a wonderful place to stay.

They also have rooms that face the courtyard/pool that are a bit bigger. Don't get the views, but a ramp leads to the patio to enjoy. The staff is friendly, it's clean, and affordable.

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitors ... need some advice pls

Check out the Hampton Inn in Corolla on the oceanfront. Though in Corolla, it is equidistant to the commercial areas of Duck and Corolla.

May be a little rich for your blood, but who knows.

SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitors ... need some advice pls

Thanks, all, for your recommendations. We'll definitely check them out.

Greenville, SC
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitors ... need some advice pls

We stayed in a beach house in Kitty Hawk, but the beaches there are not very nice. Most people prefer the beaches in Corolla or down near Ocrocoake from what I've heard. We drove down to the national seashore to spend time on the beach even though we were only a block away from it. Also watch out for speed traps going into and out of the area. They can ruin your vacation pretty quickly. Oh, and get some Duck Donuts while you're there. Heaven.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visitors ... need some advice pls

Hey SWIllinoisBeachLover! Hope all is well.

I have to disagree- I like the beach-it changes all the time- at Kitty Hawk, and all the beaches on the Banks. It's very different from the ones you experienced when you were in SC, but you'll enjoy your visit. I think you'll see the Banks are wonderful.

Do watch your speed in the small towns going out. I got the first speeding ticket in my life coming back from there. I was so embarrassed-I had all the recycling from the girls' week (week!) in the back seat, it was 8 am, and I know the cop was sniffing!

Edited: 02 June 2011, 21:59
SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visitors ... need some advice pls

Hi, Shanklemsw! All is going well; hope all is well with you.

We do love the Low Country, but we're excited about getting to see the OBX.

Thanks for your advice about speed limits ... I'll be sure to pass that along to my hubby. ;-)

Kill Devil Hills...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visitors ... need some advice pls

We would love to have you stay with us at the Colony IV. I need the dates you would be staying for a reservation and I feel sure we can accomodate the room rate you are looking for. Give us a call and ask for Tom, I will take it from there. Thanks

9. Re: First time visitors ... need some advice pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 13:18