We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Norfolk

Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Topic
Flying into Norfolk

We will be flying into Norfolk the night before heading down to Duck for a week stay. Where would be a good place to stay that first night so we can get an early start to the Outer Banks the next day?

Mentioned in this post
Norfolk
Norfolk
Virginia
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Norfolk

It's only 1.4 hrs to the bridge going into Kitty Hawk from the airport so anywhere up there is going to give you plenty of time. No need to be on the bridge early, traffic is not that bad before 1-2 pm.

Edited: 17 June 2011, 20:05
Mentioned in this post
Kitty Hawk
Kitty Hawk
Outer Banks, NC
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into Norfolk

I would aim to be over the bridge by 11 and have lunch at Duck deli in Duck, I used to put the kids in swim suits in the car, spend a couple hours at the beach near the house and then go get the key. I would rather spen time at the beach than sit in traffic for hours if you wait too long

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into Norfolk

Look to book a room in the Chesapeake area or Great Bridge . Not sure what is around the airport but Great Bridge is right on the way south Unless you want to venture down to the Outer Banks and find a room in Kitty Hawk for the night.

Mentioned in this post
Chesapeake
Chesapeake
Virginia
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Kitty Hawk
Kitty Hawk
Outer Banks, NC
Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
343 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into Norfolk

The Greenbrier area of Chesapeake has many nice hotels and is about 15 minutes south of the Norfolk airport right off Interstate 64. There is plenty of shopping from groceries, clothing and a Target and lots dining in that area too. If you look at a Google Map of the area, find exit 289 on I64.

Mentioned in this post
Chesapeake
Chesapeake
Virginia
Norfolk
Norfolk
Virginia
5. Re: Flying into Norfolk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 06:19