We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you do if you arrive early for your rental?

OHIO
Level Contributor
71 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
What do you do if you arrive early for your rental?

We always arrive about an hour or two early to the area to grocery shop before we can pick up our keys...but I'm thinking of getting there around noon or earlier.

Michigan
Level Contributor
72 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you do if you arrive early for your rental?

You could go putt putt golfing or any of the other activities in the area. If you do almost any activity (including shopping), pick up one of the coupon booklets from a Wings or one of the stores so that you can save a bit. You could go to Jockey's Ridge and check out the dunes during the day (Make sure to go back at sunset one of the days, though! The views at sunset are spectacular!).

You could go to the beach and walk or swim (Bring a plastic grocery bag to put suits into before you head to your house...or towels to sit on!).

We drive into Manteo and go window shopping and eat lunch while we wait. We also go to the pool that is in the community where we rent and just wait there. That pool also has food, so we eat while we wait, too!

You may get lucky and your house will be one of the first ones cleaned! You never know! Some years we wait until 4:00, and some years our home has been ready by noon!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you do if you arrive early for your rental?

We get there early too but go to Manteo for a nice lunch at Big Al's some times look in at the Botanical Gardens or you can hit the Aquarium then shop our way to the rental Co.

Madison, WI
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you do if you arrive early for your rental?

We also arrive early to avoid the traffic on the bridge. Usually we grab a bite to eat and do some site-seeing along with grocery shopping. You could hike around Jockey's Ridge, go mini-golfing or shopping. We have also gone to Wanchese to see the fishermen unload their catch or gone crabbing at various locations.

Enjoy!

maryland
Level Contributor
4,582 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you do if you arrive early for your rental?

You can request early check in for a fee. Depending on when you are going, they may not have any early check ins left.

Michigan
Level Contributor
72 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you do if you arrive early for your rental?

Just thought of another thing to do...You can check out Jeanette's Pier. It was recently finished and there is a lot to do and see there, besides just checking out the ocean! There is a great place to eat right there, too...Sam and Omie's. My favorite is their breakfast, but all of their food is good. Plus they serve a good beer :) Not a bad idea after all that driving! My favorite drink there is actually the bloody mary.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you do if you arrive early for your rental?

Maybe I am just a "city girl", but is there any concern about leaving your car in a beach access parking lot with all your things in it? I will probably get to the Outer Banks fairly early on Saturday, and I was thinking of going over to Jockey Ridge or the sound side to enjoy the beach a little. But I drive a small car and I know there will be stuff piled in my back seat. It makes me a bit nervous to leave my stuffed-to-the-ceiling car in an area like a beach access parking lot. Of course I will put anything valuable out of sight, but it seems like this would be a perfect opportunity for a thief, knowing that people arriving in OBX probably haven't had a chance to check into their rentals yet. Or maybe I'm just paranoid since I've had my car broken into a couple of times in the DC area (including once in a movie theatre parking lot in the middle of the day).

Edited: 30 June 2011, 04:12
Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you do if you arrive early for your rental?

I like your icon - "Guinness is Good For You!"

Call your rental agency when you get there and tell them you've arrived. Leave your cellphone number with them in case your rental gets cleaned up early.

You don't say where you're staying - that could help with advice.

We haven't been to the new Jeanette's Pier, but it looks fantastic from their webcam.

OHIO
Level Contributor
71 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you do if you arrive early for your rental?

Staying in Duck...across from Tommys.

Thanks for the ideas.

Good points.

9. Re: What do you do if you arrive early for your rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 21:17