We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving Outer Banks on Saturday and trying to avoid traffic.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
37 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving Outer Banks on Saturday and trying to avoid traffic.

We have been staying in Salvo and are unsure as to what the best time and/way is the best to leave and head back to West Virginia. We made the mistake of coming in last Saturday evening along route 158 across the Wright Memorial Bridge and want to try to avoid sitting in traffic like that again. Any help you could give would be appreciated. We'd like to try and end the trip on a high note versus beginning it with a nightmare as we did last week.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving Outer Banks on Saturday and trying to avoid traffic.

We always try to get over the bridge by 7AM. If you can do this, you won't have a problem with traffic.

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving Outer Banks on Saturday and trying to avoid traffic.

You going via US158? I'd plan to hit the bridge by 6am.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
37 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving Outer Banks on Saturday and trying to avoid traffic.

We are not going 158 this time. We are looking at going 12 to US 64. Has anyone had experiences going this way?

maryland
Level Contributor
4,857 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving Outer Banks on Saturday and trying to avoid traffic.

We get up by 6am and get out of there. Some in the group leave the night before.

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving Outer Banks on Saturday and trying to avoid traffic.

Also by leaving early you will avoid another potential trouble area where traffic coming from the South on 95 merges with traffic coming from route 64. Traffic from the south is coming from areas such as the Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach, etc, while traffic from 64 is coming from Virginia Beach, The Outer Banks, Williamsburg.

Level Contributor
13 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving Outer Banks on Saturday and trying to avoid traffic.

I've been leaving OBX saturday mornings for 8 years, hitting the 158 bridge at 9-9:30 and heading north to 168, Norfolk, and over the bridge/tunnel. I've never hit a signficant slow-down. Yes there are plenty of cars, but not to the point at which it become congested and it travels at the speed limit and over. I think folks leaving at 6am are doing it unnecessarily early.

Just don't expect to stop for gas on the way out. Get it the night before as all the stations are a zoo.

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving Outer Banks on Saturday and trying to avoid traffic.

When you get back please let us know what time you left and how you made out regarding traffic.

maryland
Level Contributor
4,857 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving Outer Banks on Saturday and trying to avoid traffic.

depend where you are leaving from. 9-9:30 from Duck or north is not good. with check out at ten. One road in and one road out. Unless you have sister in law who lives in Duck and tells you about the back roads.

Elizabeth City...
Level Contributor
726 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving Outer Banks on Saturday and trying to avoid traffic.

I have lived here all my life & taking 12/64 is going to be ur best bet unless you want to leave Salvo EXTRA early! There are alot of "back woods" roads (2-lanes) this route but it won't be the nightmare you encountered!

Lanoka Harbor, NJ
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving Outer Banks on Saturday and trying to avoid traffic.

We left Pine Island in Corolla at 7:40 am and was bumper to bumper till we hit 158. and hour to get off highway 12..my son left at 6:30 and breezed out,,,,do yourself a favor and leave early, you may enjoy a breakfast somewhere!