We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to USA - first trip to OBX

Dahlgren, Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
New to USA - first trip to OBX

We are a family of 3 (17 yr old daughter) and want to take a last minute trip to OBX but don't know which area is best to select so any advice on hotels etc. We would gladly do self catering but want to be near the beach and not too far away from some civilisation or activities (i.e. do they do surf lessons anywhere for the 17yr old?). All advice welcome! Thanks

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to USA - first trip to OBX

Where are you based while you're in the states? All of the Outer Banks area is very lovely and while I'm not sure on the surfing lessons I bet you might be able to find some. Depending on where you're coming from and how much time you have we might recommend one area over another.

Dahlgren, Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to USA - first trip to OBX

Hi we are coming from Virginia nr Fredericksburg so not too far! The surfing is not too major a criteria for this trip ... just relaxation, value for money, probably mid-range budget but not too isolated that teens would feel bored! So any pointers based on that would be great!

Hatteras Island...
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New to USA - first trip to OBX

There are a handful of places that offer surfing lessons throughout the OBX. North of Oregon Inlet offers more “civilization” than Hatteras Island. I’m not sure of availability of places to stay but it sounds to me like you might prefer the Kitty Hawk/Nags Head area. Also try this site.

http://www.obxconnection.com/

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to USA - first trip to OBX

Is this a week or a weekend? If weekend, then look at the ramada, or hilton garden inn or similar properties. for a week you can look for a home. If you are staying the the KH/NH area, then so long as you are between 158 and 12 (beach road), then you are close to civilization and walking distance to beaches. No place is that far from a beach but certainly ask questions when booking.

My 20 yo daughter took surf lessons and there were kids from 10-15 in the group. all had a great time. I don't think it matters which company you go thru. they all know where the surf can be found (which shifts with the weather).

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to USA - first trip to OBX

Every surf shop down here gives lessons, and a 17 year old is plenty old enough.

I suggest you look for an ocean front motel or condo in Nags head--NOT South Nags Head--or Kill Devil Hills.

I hope you have a terrific time.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to USA - first trip to OBX

DOBX

Just wondering why you are not recommending south nags head or KDH? What defines S Nags Head- below the bridge?

or is this only if you are looking for a motel or condo as opposed to a home? As a pretty frequent contributor, I pay attention to areas that I visit which I hope helps others but don't always understand why someone local would have an opinion such as this. Hoping you will educate me (us) with a "because...."

thanks

England
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to USA - first trip to OBX

We are just back from our 1st time on the OBX and loved the place. Kill Devil Hills should suit your needs, plenty of beach or nearby accomodation and a great range of activities.

Hope this helps.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to USA - first trip to OBX

There are big differences between Hatteras Island and the northern areas discussed above. Really completely different vacation experiences in my opinion, and if social opportunities are important, don't cross the Bonner bridge to Hatteras. Hatteras is quieter and nightlife is virtually nonexistent. The towns on Hatteras do not offer the concentration of stores and activity that you will find in Kill Devil Hills or Kitty Hawk or Nag's Head--all of it would probably fit in 1 or 2 of the large shpping centers up there. The extent of National Seashore on Hatteras and the absence of the severe overbuilding in some northern areas makes it easier to find a pristine relatively deserted beach. But you can always drive there for a day and give it a try without driving your 17-year old to distraction through boredom.

9. Re: New to USA - first trip to OBX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 20:18