We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can a cottage be found upon arrival--without reservation?

Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Can a cottage be found upon arrival--without reservation?

We're visiting OBX for 1st time Sept 2nd, and the search for a little cottage (instead of hotel--want a kitchen) is depressing. We can only stay 3 nights so we don't want to pay for a week. Only one efficiency we found seemed ok but it's in a fourplex so we would have to sacrifice privacy. Most houses are designed for families.

On a past trip to Rhode Island, we were able to find a deal just by driving around and asking at a few places who were hungry to fill rooms THAT NIGHT.

My question is, would that be possible in OBX? will there be rental agencies looking to fill up a few nights for a reasonable amount? I appreciate everyone's knowledge and feedback, thanks!!

-Sparks

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can a cottage be found upon arrival--without reservation?

I was going to say go ahead and take a chance in Sept, but then I realized that was Labor Day weekend. I don't think I would take the gamble then. There may be something available, but that's peak season. After Labor Day I think you might luck out. Have you tried VRBO?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can a cottage be found upon arrival--without reservation?

I did notice a few places which were motels with efficiency type rooms in the KH/KDH area but didn't pay attention to names and quite honestly did not seem like the type of places with an internet presence. may want to look at yellow pages and start calling. These places seemed very basic. Not sure when your last excursion was, but this is Labor day weekend which doesn't help your cause. good luck.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can a cottage be found upon arrival--without reservation?

Perhaps Rhode Island was less in season at the time but that weekend is still very busy in the Outer Banks. You probably wouldn't want to be part of the long line of traffic and people checking in on a Friday with rental companies only to find it there is something available.

Check the many companies online, especially those with categories for short term stays.

We have also found that if we have a certain price in mind it's okay to accept even larger accommodations as long as the price and condition are okay with us.

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can a cottage be found upon arrival--without reservation?

Maybe this will help.

outerbanks.org/accommodations/accommodation_…

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
755 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can a cottage be found upon arrival--without reservation?

Check out the Beacon Motor Lodge if you don't mind a hotel. They have efficiency rooms in the courtyard with a regular size fridge and sink and a small oven/stove top.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can a cottage be found upon arrival--without reservation?

Try obxretreat.com. This property has flexible rental days.

nc
Level Contributor
480 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can a cottage be found upon arrival--without reservation?

First Colony Inn (Nags Head milepost 16) has kitchenettes if that would work for you: firstcolonyinn.com/Rooms/Details/HenryRufoote

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can a cottage be found upon arrival--without reservation?

First Colony Inn is lovely.

Between the hurricane closing so many places in the south OBX and the fact that it's usually a busy weekend, I wouldn't chance showing up without a reservation for a hotel. Many houses are available for less than a week (at a daily rate higher than the daily rate by the week) if they do't have tenants the week before or after. But they are usually booked just a few days out.

9. Re: Can a cottage be found upon arrival--without reservation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 09:17