We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Outer Banks?

t g
pittsburgh
5 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Outer Banks?

We've never been before but are planning trip for next summer. We usually vacation in Maine. We want nice beaches and somewhere that's not overdeveloped or crowded.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Outer Banks?

Nothing here is crowded like Atlantic City, Myrtle Beach, Va Beach or like that. 4 story buildings are the max so no huge condos or tall hotels with tons of people. 100 miles of beach so no shortage of that either. There is no one perfect place, they are all good and all offer different things to some degree.

2. Re: Where to stay in Outer Banks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2011, 20:01
Kreskin2207
Level Contributor
61 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Outer Banks?

I always opt for south nags head. The beach is great and its all residential while still being only.a short 5 minute drive to restaurants and shops. Definitely look into a cottage as its the best bet for a week stay. It's also closely located to the cape hatteras national seashore where you'll have miles and miles of unspoiled beaches and minimal development.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Outer Banks?

My wife and I have been going to the OBX for more than 15 years. We originally went to the northern Duck/Corolla area in the summer, but got turned off by the overbuilding and traffic. We have continued to go there on occasion in the winter. We now go to Hatteras Island. Fortunately, the National Seashore has limited development to some extent, and we find the experience much lower key and more relaxing. Staying on the southern side in Frisco also places you just a short drive from the ferry to Ocracoke, which is a different type of OBX experience. But there are trade-offs, like fewer restaurants and few large stores or shopping centers (really only in Avon). Kreskin2207's post above is worth bearing in mind if you want to easier access to more shopping and entertainment, while being a relatively short drive from the Hatteras Island National Seashore beaches. One bit of advice, and particularly if you decide to stay up north: try to find a Sunday to Sunday rental. The traffic jams to cross the Wright Memorial Bridge on Saturdays keep getting worse. If you do rent on Saturday, figure out a strategy to get to the bridge by mid-morning.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Outer Banks?

Hi, I still like Duck! When I drive over the bridge to the OBX, I want to be there and not drive another hour south to Hatteras. OBX is not like the Jersey Shore where people are stepping all over each other. The only day the traffic is bad and annoying is on Saturday when most of the check ins happen. If you can schedule your trip to arrive before 11am on Sat(or a Sunday check in even better!), have lunch somewhere near your realty company so you don't have to back track too much in Sat traffic, then you will be happier. Corolla is beautiful and very popular but that extra stretch of road wears me out when I finally arrive! I like Duck because when you are in your house and going to the beach, you have no sense that there are so many people on the island. I would stay away from renting in Kitty Hawk. Too open, too many roads. A lot of restaurants are there, so I would go for dinner etc but not want to rent a house there. Wherever you go you will have a lot of fun!! We have been making it an annual trip for 24 years!

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Outer Banks?

And then there is Ocracoke. Miles of undeveloped beach. Wonderful, small town to explore on bicycle. Ocrafolk Opry. Kayaking.

Check it out and see if it's your cup of tea.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
549 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Outer Banks?

OK, Now I'm very confused! My nieces and I are trying to plan a family vacation for next summer and I haven't been to OBX in 12 years so I'm totally lost! We would probably be looking to rent condos or cottages/houses, not sure of the number of us yet but I would say 25 at least. We have all ages, but one thing is for sure, we would like to be close to restaurants and maybe some shopping but be able to walk to the beach and a pool would be great as well. Any ideas?

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Outer Banks?

Ocracoke is not for you, Cincy. Long walk to the beach.

You might want to repost your question and start a new thread though.

Good Luck!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Outer Banks?

You will be happy in Corolla, Duck or Nags Head. Just need to find the right houses for your family!

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Outer Banks?

There are quite a few McMansions on the OBX for large groups.

While we have never rented one of them, we have rented from

Sun Realty and have never had a problem.

I notice they have a number of properties in the Nags Head area that will suit large groups.

here's a link:

http://www.sunrealtync.com/property/search?weekend=&checkin=&checkout=&adults=1&children=0&op1=%3D&filter1=10.0&filter2=**ALL**&filter3[Duck%2C+NC]=Duck%2C+NC&filter3[Southern+Shores%2C+NC]=Southern+Shores%2C+NC&filter3[Kitty+Hawk%2C+NC]=Kitty+Hawk%2C+NC&filter3[Kill+Devil+Hills%2C+NC]=Kill+Devil+Hills%2C+NC&filter3[Nags+Head%2C+NC]=Nags+Head%2C+NC&filter3[South+Nags+Head%2C+NC]=South+Nags+Head%2C+NC&links=&form_id=ldisilink_quick_links_form&search_type=fixed&sort_order=&WRUID=0&k_visit=6&__utma_a2a=3227625706.1341002389.1309445463.1309445463.1314037819.2&SESS511b491020e15ac819ab4d19c99a8241=c2rvq8dej0fvtqv27m7i9slal5&__utmb=265969421.9.10.1320850217&__utmc=265969421&session_start_time=1320850217807&push_time_start=1320850217809

sorry the link is so long........