We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would this be a good choice for our family?

NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Would this be a good choice for our family?

We are looking to go somewhere on the east coast in August. At the time, my kids will be 6 (boy), 14 year old twins boy/girl) & a 17 year old boy. The 3 older kids are very active & love watersports. My 6 year old will be very happy in a splash/fountain pool all day. My husband & I will do anything.

We have never been to the Outer Banks or NC. Would it be good for an active family who finds it very hard to sit around? Is there enough in he area to do?

NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would this be a good choice for our family?

Also....there are so many different locations in the OBX...how do we choose which one?

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would this be a good choice for our family?

If you are looking for stuff to do you can find it here. I would suggest staying someplace central as opposed to one end or the other as options are less and less as you get to the northern and southern ends. Those are good for those who want less to do or want to fish. Focus on Nags Head or Kill Devil Hills. There is a lot to do in Nags Head and KDH and each town is just 5 miles long so you are just a few minutes from Nags Head if you are in Kitty Hawk which is just 10 miles away down a 5 lane road. From here you can take a day trip south to Hatteras to explore the area, go north the next day and west over to Manteo the next to take a plane ride or visit the aquarium or the shops on the Manteo waterfront. Explore the area this time and see what is here and where you want to go next time. Or sit on the beach all day.

Edited: 22 December 2011, 15:02
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would this be a good choice for our family?

The KDH/KH/ Duck area is most central close to shops, restaurants, etc. A ride up to Corolla to see the wild horses is a great treat (not inexpensive unless you bring your own 4 wheeler).

Many places for kayaks, bike rental, surf lessons. Only negative we had from our vacation last summer was the traffic to and from.

If you do decide on OBX, then I suggest coming down friday and staying in a motel as close to the bridge as possible as traffic was hellacious. think GW Bridge on a bad day--- and double it. too much volume going thru a very small access point.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,251 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would this be a good choice for our family?

My wife and I took a trip to Nags Head last June and from what I could tell, it's a great location for families. We stayed at the Sea Foam Motel which was reasonably priced, small and quaint. They offer standard rooms, efficiencies and some cottages. They have a pool and beach access is literally steps away if you choose oceanfront. I noticed others storing small grills in the sandy "back yard," if you will. We ended up walking to mini golf, shops and restaurants and were a short drive away from the Wright Brothers Memorial. In fact, there is a burger stand and ice cream shop within a hundred yards or so of the Sea Foam. If you choose to stay farther north (Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, etc) you are even closer to retail shopping and other attractions. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
3 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would this be a good choice for our family?

Excellent vacation choice! We love Hatteras Island because we love the beach and fishing. Also, the location is great for day trips to Ocracoke Island where the beaches are awesome!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,251 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would this be a good choice for our family?

I can't forget to mention the fantastic food in the area also. Some of the more upscale places like Owens can get expensive, but there are plenty of local independent places with great tastes for anyone that are casual and reasonably priced.

7. Re: Would this be a good choice for our family?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2013, 10:17