We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Insurance

travelingforsanity
Level Contributor
305 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Insurance

I've read in this forum that someone submitted a claim after being evacuated last year and was not reimbursed for their rental costs. Is this the case? I've looked over the insurance, and it's wordy but I thought it was covered. Any expeience with this from anyone?

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Insurance

The problem with the insurance and what happened last year was unusual at best. There was some confusion how to decypher the insurance wording based on what happened in the evacuation. It was confusing because normally when they give the "ALL CLEAR" and allow visitors back in there is a place to go. This time was different because while your rental house is there and ready there was no road so no way to get to it. I think most insurance companies now have things like that covered or understood better than they did last summer. Clearly, having the insurance in later July - Oct is a good idea on Hatteras Island.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Insurance

Best advise is to ask questions (and get responses in writing if possible). Not all insurance policies are alike.

Also, remember that the policy gives you the right to make a claim, which doesn't mean that the insurer is just going to write a check. The purpose of insurance companies is to maximize shareholder value, not pay claims.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
763 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Insurance

I'd get the insurance. You can go on your own and get insurance if you don't want to go through the rentals companies (which some have said they will do), but the same things will be covered. I've also checked some sights on my own, and it's usually more expensive. To add the "cancel for any reason" is usually expensive, and (as obx200 said) last year was very unusual.

I was scheduled to go to Rodanthe, but I lucked out and had no problems with insurance. I was supposed to go while Hatteras was still shut off. It was still under mandatory evacuation, which kicked in my insurance.

I also know that Midgett Realty (which is what I use) tried to work with people who purchased insurance and the insurance didn't cover. I really haven't seen any updates on that, but they were trying to work with owners/renters to make everyone happy (once again, don't know of outcomes). They understood that people purchased insurance, so something should be done for them.

Most of the people that you see complaining (well through Midgett anyway), are the people that didn't purchase insurance and thought they were due something. They wanted the owners of the houses to give them another week, but they didn't take INSURANCE.

What are these idiots thinking? I could see people having a case for taking insurance and not getting anything, but if you didn't purchase insurance your fault, whether the island was unaccesable or not. What would be the point of insurance if owners (or rental companies) reimbursed you (whether monetary or another week)?

VA
Level Contributor
45 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Insurance

I was evacuated from Nags Head with 3 days remaining for the week. The

Insurance company assured that I would be reimbursed for those days.

That was 4 months ago. Still waiting for a response. Provided substantial

documentation however they still "had to check with the realty agent".

Anyone get reimbursed yet for that time period?

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Insurance

Insurance companies aren't in the business to lose money.

MD
Level Contributor
789 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Insurance

But they are in the business to pay out when they are supposed to.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
59 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Insurance

We had to leave Duck three days early. Almost as soon as I got home I submitted a claim with documentation ( Evacuation notice, copy of rental lease) and was promptly reimbursed. The insurance payment was some of the best money I've spent on a vacation!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
59 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Insurance

We had to leave Duck three days early. Almost as soon as I got home I submitted a claim with documentation ( Evacuation notice, copy of rental lease) and was promptly reimbursed. The insurance payment was some of the best money I've spent on a vacation!

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Insurance

Do consider looking at policies other than the one the rental agency offers. The same things are not always covered. Check out squaremouth.com or insuremytrip.com. Lots of choices to fit your specific circumstances.

VA
Level Contributor
45 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Insurance

Still waiting. Insurance company is waiting for Nags Head Realty to respond to their inquiry. I guess to confirm that Irene really happened.

Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks
Recent Conversations