We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit - helpful advice appreciated

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
First visit - helpful advice appreciated

My husband and I are interested in visiting this area in April for a week to 10 days. We would like to be on the beach with a balcony if possible to enjoy the ocean but not always be in the sun. We are very familiar with S.C. Kiawah and Hilton Head efficiency villas and were wondering if this type of accommodation was also available in the Outer Banks. We are independent travellers and like the flexibility of being on our own rather than the meal schedule of an inn and to explore the area around us as our leisure. A good bed and clean accommodation is important to us. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit - helpful advice appreciated

Comparing us to Hilton Head or Myrtle is just wrong, we are totally different and if you are looking for that type of resort atmosphere then you are going to be disappointed.

There are a few places with balcony's oceanfront. Try Croatan Surf Club or First Flight Retreat. Just do a google search and you will find them.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit - helpful advice appreciated

Thank you for your reply. I apologize if I gave the wrong impression. We travel off-season to avoid the crowds - one of the reasons we left Hilton Head and have never been to Myrtle Beach. We enjoyed Kiawah Island for 15 years, but since the new Sanctuary Inn was built the atmosphere and clientel have changed. The reason for mentioning these areas is that we have found resort management could rectify accommodation problems quickly. As it is just the 2 of us and we are not as physically active as we used to be we thought an apartment condo with a balcony would give us the privacy we would like and beautiful ocean views if we didn't want to be on the beach. Thank you for your recommendations, I will take a look at them.

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit - helpful advice appreciated

The Outer Banks has many oceanfront condos that will give you just what you're looking for. Some of the companies to search are Twiddy, Southern Shores, Village Realty, Brindley Beach and Joe Lamb.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
710 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit - helpful advice appreciated

As a previous owner.....check out Whispering Sands Condo Units in Nags Head....rented through Village Realty. They are as close to the beach as you can get with large decks ocean facing and pool.

Cameron, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit - helpful advice appreciated

There are a lot of nice places in Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Duck, Kill Devil Hills. You can find the places on the net. When you go if you get a chance, you should eat breakfast Stack'em High Pancake House. By far the best pancakes in North Carolina. It is located in Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk. Trust me I have traveled the state from one end to the other, and they have good food. I stayed at the Sea Ranch in Kill Devil Hills. It is right on the beach. It was just fine for me, but may not be what you're looking for. Duck has some a nice little shopping area and all the places are close together. All the towns in the area are close too. Corrolla is close by also. That is where the wild horses are. They have area's where you can see them. plus they offer tours to go see the horses. Have a good trip.

Edited: 17 February 2012, 01:27
Nags Head, North...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit - helpful advice appreciated

There are many nice places on the beach from condominiums to hotels. The Hilton Garden Inn Kitty Hawk is a beautiful spot, all of the rooms have a view of the ocean and they also have their own fishing pier. www.hiltongardeninnouterbanks.com and check them out. I am sure with an extended stay they can offer you a nice discount if you call them.

Cameron, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit - helpful advice appreciated

Go to outerbanks.org and you can find all kinds of places to stay, and things to do. Or you can try VillageOBX.com they have many rentals from Corolla to Nags Head. You can also try www.thesanderling.com its in Duck. All these listing are in Our State down home in North Carolina magazine. I hope these will help in your finding of a place to stay on our beautiful outerbanks.

8. Re: First visit - helpful advice appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2013, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks