We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pittsburgh to OBX at night

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Pittsburgh to OBX at night

This will be our 3rd trip to the Obx from Pittsburgh. The 1st 2 times we didn't do the driving and were not in control of how we got there or when we left. Both times we ran into horrible traffic. Our plan this time is to leave at night around 9pm. We are able to get into our house at any time. I'm looking for good advice about which route to take that will be the easiest/quicker. We will have 2 small children with us and want to drive at night so they will be asleep:) Thanks for your help!

We are leaving on May 25th

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pittsburgh to OBX at night

Check this route on Google maps:

PA turnpike to Breezewood exit.

I 70E to I 81S.

I 81S to I 66E.

I 66E to US 17S.

US 17S to I 95S at Fredericksburg, VA. (45-60 min.)

I 95S to I 295E around Richmond to I 64E.

I 64E to VA 168 (Chesapeake Expressway)

Take VA 168, and stay on it when it changes to NC 168 at the VA/NC border.

Stay on VA 168 until it ends at US 158E.

Turn on US 158E and you'll cross the Wright Memorial Bridge into Kitty Hawk.

I think you can make to KH in 10 or 11 hours if you keep a good pace and stop only when necessary.

It is a great time of night to travel.

Have a good one.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
765 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pittsburgh to OBX at night

The "quickest and easiest" route is going on 495 around DC - turnpike to 70, onto 270, then 495 till you get 95 and follow directions above. I use quotes because it's very hit and miss (pretty much always a miss during the day). I've never had a problem between about midnight and 3 AM (which would be when you're hitting it) with traffic, but they are doing alot of construction. My brother went that way and was stopped at about 2 am as they were doing half hour or hour lane closures. Not sure if they are still doing this or not, maybe ask on the DC forum.

When I travel at night I go this way, and as a matter of fact I took it on a Saturday in December. I was on the beltway about 8/9 am and had no problems. Only reason I took the chance was because it was offseason. Any other time during the day I hit 522 off 70 then work my way to 17.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pittsburgh to OBX at night

I have traveled the way that DOBX does nemerous times and this has been the easiest and quickest route that I have found. Traveling at night is great; especially if you can get into your house at anytime. The only problem that we have had is fog in the West Virginia mountains. Have a great trip!

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pittsburgh to OBX at night

I go exactly how DOBX said. I have been there 13 times from Beaver County...

BTW, I usually leave around 2 a.m. and still get there before the 3 pm check in. Yes, with kids and stops to gas & eat.

Edited: 10 February 2012, 19:20
pittsburgh
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pittsburgh to OBX at night

Thanks everyone! TTCL 1 we live in Beaver County too. Sounds like that is the way to go. We def think night time is teh way to go. Last year we didn't get to leave until around noon on a Friday and it was horrible traffic and the party in charge took back roads wheever they could for "scenery" which turned it into a 14 hour trip not including the stops!

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pittsburgh to OBX at night

No prob swindy. Another lil advice. Unless you live right by the turnpike entrance at Beaver Falls, 376 to Monroville TP entrance is quicker....

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pittsburgh to OBX at night

Got to agree too with DOBX mostly .

There are several ways to go from Winchester Va , 81 south is the best bet this avoids DC 66 is a good idea too then there are options from there you can look at this site and it will give you the options .

http://fishoinc.tripod.com/id4.html

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pittsburgh to OBX at night

We did DOBX's route with one alteration. Instead of taking I-70 directly to I-81, we took US-522 into Winchester, then to I-81. It shaved off some distance and time for us. Either way, though, I'd avoid the DC route, even at night. Have a good trip.

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pittsburgh to OBX at night

We do the 522 through Berkeley Springs to Winchester and I-81 South as well. You should have no problems with that at night.

I detest I-64 so we've been staying on I-295 until we hit 460 and take that over to I-664. It gives us a chance to stop at the Virginia Diner (one of Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives stops) in Wakefield for a good meal and a couple tins of double chocolate covered peanuts to take to the Outer Banks. They open at 6AM so if you time it right you can stop for a very good breakfast!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pittsburgh to OBX at night

Steeler, I think I'm going to keep that tip in mind. I'm a DDD fan myself.

Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks
Recent Conversations