We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in outer banks: April

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
How many days in outer banks: April

Hello,

Just starting to plan our visit for next month/Mid April, I have never been. A friend of mine recommended we stay in Corolla or Duck. I've started reading through the forums and check out TA for things to do. I will be traveling with my 10yo son and 16yo daughter. We live right near the ocean and will also vacation this summer on Cape Cod, so we are used to the beach. My question is: How many days will be good for April? I've been told we will not be able to swim in the water, too chilly. Thats fine. I'm looking at a tour to see the wild horses. And also maybe horse back riding on the beach. I'd also love to visit a lighthouse or two.

We plan to drive from Boston and stop in DC for at least one day. We visited DC a few years ago, but I want to see the MKL Memorial. Should we spend a few days in DC, and a few days on Outer Banks? Or is there enough to do mid-april to keep us occupied for four days? My 10yo will be great no matter what we do. The 16yo is much harder to please..LOL!!!

Any advice or tips? Thanks so much!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days in outer banks: April

There is lots to do here, but swimming in the ocean will not be one of them. Just my suggestion, stay somewhere in the middle and not at the northern end so you can more easily do day trips north, south and west to Manteo to the waterfront shops there. There will be no crowds in April and many places to choose from.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days in outer banks: April

Thanks so much for the advice! Any hotel recommendations? We would prefer a hotel that is 'on' the beach, but we are on a budget so can't go nuts..LOL.

richmond
Level Contributor
926 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days in outer banks: April

Try looking for sound front in Duck. You can kayak, crab and enjoy the gorgeous sunsets. If your rental doesn't include kayaks there are many places to rent. You could easily spend a week and not be bored.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days in outer banks: April

The Sea Foam Motel in Nags Head is clean, pleasant, and reasonably priced, and it is right on the beach. It is within walking distance to a number of restaurants and I think would work well as a home base in the central section of the Outer Banks.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days in outer banks: April

Loads of motels. Colony IV has 2 pools and is central and on the beach and has been redone over the past few years. Do a goggle search for ---- outer banks motel 27948 27959 ---- and you should find a bunch.

Edited: 17 March 2012, 20:41
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days in outer banks: April

Thanks so much! I'm thinking we will need an indoor pool to swim in April. Is there a chance will will be able to swim outdoors? Looking forward to our visit!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days in outer banks: April

Our trip is coming up fast and we are so excited! We are only staying one night in DC and will drive to OBX after that. We have reservations for a jeep tour to see the wild horses and another to go horse back riding on the beach. We are staying in Kill Devil's Hill. I also plan to spend some time at Jockey Ridge state partk. When we leave I am attempting a straight shot home to Boston, wish me luck. We will stop in Jersey City for a few hours and then keep going.

I've been keeping an eye on these boards for more ideas.

Yet another vacation planned via trip advisor!!

I can't wait!!!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days in outer banks: April

Your kids may enjoy Kitty Hawk Kites - located across from Jockey's Ridge. They offer all sorts of lessons incliding hang gliding! There also a pretty decent aquarium in Manteo they might enjoy - I did .

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days in outer banks: April

There's an indoor pool at the Nags Head Inn and it's right on the beach. We stayed there years ago before we started renting houses and always enjoyed it.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days in outer banks: April

Thank you both!! We are bringing one kite with us and I figure we can buy more if we need do. My 10 year old has this very weird phobia with kites (hysterical, but I won't get into it), so I don't think we will need too many. I did see the info about hang gliding...haha...looks like fun. That is one of the things we may check out and will play by ear.

The aquarium is good to know, we love to visit them! It's a great back up for a rainy day too.

We are staying at the Best Western in Kill Devil's hill, it has an indoor pool. The pool is a must for my 10 year old who LOVES the water and I know may not get into the ocean. Although the last 2 days in boston have been 80-90 degrees, crazy...so you can swim. But back down to 60 Wednesday.

Keep any advise coming!! LOL!! I will keep checking. LOVE these boards.

:)

Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks
Recent Conversations