We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving on the beach

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Driving on the beach

I was wondering I had planned to go to Carova Beach area this year, however I can't seem to find if I need a pass to get on the beach?

Camden, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving on the beach

No pass needed. It is actually a state road . . just on the beach. Make sure you have four wheel drive, although for the most part you don't need it due to the high volume of vehicle traffic keeping the sand compacted. Some weekends a Deputy will control the beach access and limit it to only 4wd.

Edited: 15 May 2012, 07:59
Greenwich...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving on the beach

To get on the beach I can get on it from any of the side roads off the state road right? I know you can't drive on the VA border but how far is it that I can access the beach on the NC side without a pass?

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving on the beach

Mike,

Let me try to explain. the road IS the beach. There is no pavement, no gravel, nothing but sand and the beach IS the road itself up there. If you are ON the beach you are also ON the road, they are one and the same. Getting off the road (aka beach) the sand gets softer and more easy to get stuck in.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving on the beach

the beach section is about 15 miles, I believe. Again no pass. Just be sure to have 4x4 (not all wheel) especially if you are not experienced in this kind of driving. when we took the tour, they were clear to show us the tow truck driver's very nice house right on the beach paid for by all the tourists getting stuck. Lot's of posts about tire pressure, etc that you should read.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,550 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving on the beach

Yes, as neslaw1 says.

And the tide chart so you can get back home before high tide.

And if you're traveling around, keep an eye on the sun. There are no street lights there. The occasional house light but that's not much. Ptich dark unless there's some moonlight.

Do a word search in the empty box on top of these posts for info and stories.

Do a google search for Carova and zoom in to get the idea. (You may be confusing it with Corolla as some do)

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving on the beach

Thanks everyone so I could take NC 64 and just go north to Carova right? I think Carova would be the closest to me from my location Looking at google streets here.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,550 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving on the beach

Carova would be the closest to you ...compared with what? (or did you mean NC64 would be the closest to where you will be before the Outer Banks)

Do realize that one can't get to Carolva from Virginia Beach's outer banks area called Sandbridge. It is protected and gated off.

Carova would be the closest to you ...compared with what?

Do realize that one can't get to Carova from Virginia Beach's outer banks area called Sandbridge. It is protected and gated off.

You can take NC 64 across to 158 and indeed go north. 158 sort of becomes 12 to continue north.

But if you are coming from Greenwich Ct you can also approach from further north, choosing a way to wind over to Va64, going south on 168 into NC where you eventually meet 158 and cross over to the Outer Banks a little higher up than on NC64.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,550 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving on the beach

Well that was a mixed up post:) Sorry...duplicated somehow.

9. Re: Driving on the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:17