We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

large family vacation

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
large family vacation

Has anyone done a really large group vacation - say 28-30 people - all in one house? What tips would you have to make it successful? Was it difficult to find a home large enough? This is something we are considering for next summer - but the sheer # of people is intimidating.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: large family vacation

28-30 in the same house ---- bring Xanax.

Alprazolam is used to treat anxiety disorders and panic disorder (sudden, unexpected attacks of extreme fear and worry about these attacks). Alprazolam is in a class of medications called benzodiazepines. It works by decreasing abnormal excitement in the brain.

nc
Level Contributor
492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: large family vacation

I haven't ever done that many people in one house, but when I was a kid we used to have 15 or so in one house, until we expanded to 30 in 2 houses.

The one thing that I think we really did right was to assign nights to cook dinner and clean up after. That way no one feels like they are stuck with all the work, and if someone wasn't much of a cook, they would usually do Stouffer's lasagna on the first night when we were short on time.

Other than that and the Xanax, I'd say earbuds ;) Have fun!

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: large family vacation

As many huge homes have been built on the OBX in recent years you should have plenty to choose from, but it won't be cheap!

Brindley Beach has one in KDH:

www.brindleybeach.com/rental/house.html…

Carolina Designs has a 13 bedroom:

carolinadesigns.com/vacation-rentals/beach-p…

Twiddy has some as well:

twiddy.com/homes/…groovy-dunes.aspx

twiddy.com/homes/…sunrise-surprise.aspx

twiddy.com/homes/…angels-retreat.aspx

twiddy.com/homes/…carolina-bliss.aspx

and plenty more...

Good luck, brave soul! ;)

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
414 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: large family vacation

You may want to consider two homes side by side.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: large family vacation

Thanks for the suggestions. It's nothing more than an idea at this point. We'll see.

Carlisle...
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: large family vacation

Definitely agree with obxmaslin and Foredecs. I would look for 2 houses side-by-side. My family has never had 30 people but we have done 20. We did 2 houses - 1 oceanfront and 1 semi-oceanfront back-to-back. We also did it so that 1 house had a pool and hot tub that everyone could share. This could help cut costs if you have anybody with you that really wants to have the pool. Also, the 2 houses helps so that you can split people up depending on who gets along best and if you have any older people they could be separate from the younger families who are probably on a different schedule. Also agree on the assignment of who's in charge of dinner & clean up each night. We have done this and it worked out great. Everyone can choose what they feel comfortable making and coordinate so you're not getting too much of 1 thing. On our big family vacations, we also coordinate a "Drink of the day". It helps so you don't have 100 different bottles of liquor out because everybody wants something different. Every day, we had a schedule of the drink ie. pina coladas, margaritas, mai tais, whatever you like. Then you know in advance what you need and you don't have to keep running out to the liquor & grocery stores. Of course, always keep beer on hand too. Also remember that everyone doesn't have to do everything together. If a couple people want to hit the outlets, all 30 of you don't have to do it. Trying to go out to dinner or anything like that is probably not feasible either. Best of luck with your planning!

richmond
Level Contributor
926 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: large family vacation

Ashlee have you been on vacation with us. Lol! We do that exactly. We also have everyone save receipts for the kitty and figure out the food and drink bill at the end of the week.

Edited: 22 June 2012, 14:51
North Carolina
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: large family vacation

We have done 30 people and are going again this summer. First rule of making this work, only vacation with those who have similar vacation styles as you! In our group, we have known each other forever and are all pretty laid back. We are comfortable watching and disciplining each other's children. we add up all the food and drink receipts for the week at the end and divide by the number of families. We don't use a set schedule for meals but do have a general menu to do the shopping. Same for who cooks/cleans/shops - everyone contributes something.

Bring some games, crafts, etc for the kids in case of bad weather or too much sun. Get a house with a large pool!

Agree ahead of time that if some individual families want to go out on their own for an activity or dinner, that that is ok. You don't need to spend 24/7 together.

Have fun!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,973 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: large family vacation

We did 23 a couple of years ago at a more southerly beach. We got an oceanfront duplex (basically two cottages, but with adjoining interior doors that were unlocked since we rented both sides). It was really a little much for me (my cousins' idea), but it was imminently more workable because there were two kitchens and double the number of bathrooms. It was still tight with 4 bedrooms on each side of the condo for a total of 8 bedrooms, plus couches if need be. Most of the bedrooms had multiple beds, but that put us and our two kids in one bedroom (with one double bed for mom and dad and two bunks for the kids). I got a little claustrophobic by the end of the week, but the kids loved it.

The two kitchens made the whole thing work. I can't imagine doing that many people with one kitchen.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: large family vacation

mom2travel,

You are completely right about traveling with people who have the same vacation style.

You don't have to go with a huge group for competing styles to make people miserable.

Some people want to go on vacation and do every. single. thing. together

with their group and are horribly offended when others go anywhere without them.

We like the laid back, go where you want to go, do what you want to do style, no worries. :)

This does not mix well with the previous style.

If you think personalities might clash because they have before, you probably don't want to be in the same house with that person.

Know before you go!

Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks