We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OBX newbie - need some suggestions on what area to stay

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
OBX newbie - need some suggestions on what area to stay

Hi everyone,

I am trying to plan a combined wedding anniversary/baby-moon trip to the Outer Banks over labor day weekend but I have never been before and am totally confused about which town or towns would be best for us. I would really appreciate some advice!

I am looking for an area where we can find either a B&B/Inn or rental (although I don't know if it's even possible to get a rental for less than a week) and where we will be able to park the car and then walk to the beach and restaurants. So I'm really looking for a beach vacation and then maybe we would do something like a jeep off-roading beach tour and we would probably check out the Wright Brothers Memorial - I'm obviously fine with driving to those things though.

Please suggest some towns that might be a good fit for us and if you have suggestions for places to stay, that would be really helpful as well (I would like to keep it under approximately $200/night).

Thanks so much! Julie

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OBX newbie - need some suggestions on what area to stay

The B&B limits you somewhat. There are 20,000 rental homes and that time of year is not so busy that you could not find a partial week at the last minute. The partials are rented the week you want to be here normally (last minute) but that time of year sometimes the rental companies will make an acception and let you reserve a house for the following week for less than 6 days. You might need to ask for a manager to speak with for this as it is out of the norm and not all the reservationists able to do it.

As far as the town, don't over think it. Southern Shores, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil, Nags Head are all back to back and only 5 miles long so staying in any of them is just a short ride to the others. There is more to do in the Kill Devil and Nags Head areas and a B&B or two as well. Once you get here plan to visit northern and southern areas to see what they are like and you will be able to see they don't vary all that much and you can pick you spot for the next visit.

Here is a nice B&B in Kill Devil Hills to look at. Lots to do around it and the owners are great folks.

www.cypresshouseinn.com

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: OBX newbie - need some suggestions on what area to stay

Thanks very much for your response. Cypress House Inn seems like a good option!

3. Re: OBX newbie - need some suggestions on what area to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks