We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

comeing down from up north

new york
5 posts
Save Topic
comeing down from up north

I want to drive down from new york to myrtle beach in sept. I want to drive down the chesapeake bay bridge then down route 168 to 12 and along the outer banks to hatteras . It looks like there are two ferrys do i need to reserve a spot on them? Or can i drive down and just get on,one is ocracoke,i would like to stay on 12 and see a few lite houses and other places too.Is there a toll to be on that road too?can i take a more senic route?All input would be very helpfull to me thanks.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: comeing down from up north

The ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke is free and does not require a reservation. If you plan to travel on the Ocracoke - Cedar Island ferry, you will need to make a reservation (that is the ferry that will get you back onto the mainland). There are no tolls on any of the roads you will travel in the Outer Banks.

The route along the coast is very scenic. You might consider a stop in Beaufort (just south of Cedar Island) - a historic waterfront town with a lovely harbor along the Intercoastal.

Lots of lighthouses along the route - several in the Outer Banks (including Hatteras Light), one in Ocracoke and the Cape Lookout Light near Beaufort (which we consider the Lower Outer Banks).

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: comeing down from up north

If you do decide on the Cedar Island ferry out of Ocracoke I would think about maybe staying on Ocracoke over night , the Hatteras ferry is some times backed up and keeping a schedule to catch the next ferry might be in jeopardy, Just be sure to give your self plenty of time when booking your ferry reservation, there is a $15. charge on the Cedar Island ferry .

Plenty to do on Ocracoke if you arrive early .including visiting the light house.

The body Island light house in under renovation at this time but visitors center is open, Hatteras light house is open and can climb for a fee, Ocracoke light house is only open when volunteers are there but no climbing ..

I hope this helps have a great trip

new york
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: comeing down from up north

Very helpfull, can you call from the road to the ferry and reserve a spot like that? I know its going to be hard to plan the time we spend and call like this month and reserve the ferry to the main land,but i want to stay on 12 all the way down to the main land then maybe hit 24 to 17.I was hopeing sept. wont be as buzy as the summer and if i can call from the road would be awsum. thanks.

4. Re: comeing down from up north

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 11:18