We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rt. 158 vs Rt. 64

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
188 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Rt. 158 vs Rt. 64

Mid week the first week of October we will be coming from Emporia VA (stop over) to Corolla, NC. Rather than heading to Chesapeake and South, I was thinking of either taking Rt. 95 to Rt. 158 to Rt. 12 or Rt. 95 to Rt. 64 to Rt. 12. Any thoughts or tips on either? We do not mind if it takes a little longer we would rather drive in less traffic. Estimated time of arrival in OBX would be about 11:00am - 1:00pm, I was thinking it might be nice to stop at the Wright Bros Memorial if we come from Rt. 64.

What about traffic on Rt. 12 to Corolla during the week? Once we get to Corolla we might want to travel south to go out to eat or shop or sightsee, would it be light traffic conditions at that time of year?

Any suggestions on which wild horse tour to use? Any restaurants? (Seafood, Steak, Italian). Any sights we should not miss? We're staying at the Hampton in Corolla because we want to be able to sit on our balcony and see the ocean, hear the ocean, and smell the ocean. Makes me relaxed already.

Edited: 02 September 2012, 00:56
Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rt. 158 vs Rt. 64

I have never tried that way but if your going that far south for your stop over I think I would go to Rocky Mount then take NC 64 on down to the Outer banks , seldom any bad traffic that way and 4 lanes most of the way .

Being mid week and October you shouldn't have any big problems with the traffic any way you go.

But with that in mind my choice would be going to Petersburge and taking 460 to the tide water area then in Suffolk take 34 to Edenton on down to NC 64 or just get back to Va 64 to Va 168 on down to the Outer Banks . I know this is a lot of choices but I'm just trying to give you option that will work for you .

Edited: 02 September 2012, 03:03
Reading, PA
Level Contributor
188 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rt. 158 vs Rt. 64

fish_oinc THANKS! I like your 2nd idea and I think we will use that for our return trip since we are stopping near Richmond for a few nights to visit our great niece for the first time (she was born in Feb and we haven't had a chance to get to Richmond).

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rt. 158 vs Rt. 64

As fish said, you will have no traffic issues anywhere mid-week in October.

However, if you are coming from Emporia, there is no need to go to Petersburg just to head down route 460...

That route would take you far, far out of your way.

Think of it this way, 95 north, 460 east and 58 east form a triangle.

Why would you travel 42 miles northeast on 95, then 59 miles southeast on 460 when you could simply drive 57 miles straight east on route 58?

Here's the map to see for yourself: http://goo.gl/maps/UN63r

That's a 4 hour, 19 minute trip- 203 miles

Contrast that with simply driving on route 58 east and continuing on to Corolla:

http://goo.gl/maps/bVCII

That 3 hours, 13 minutes and only 162 miles...

If you have family in Richmond to see, you have to go through Richmond before you get to Emporia anyway...

Hope you have a great trip, the OBX can be beautiful in October :)

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rt. 158 vs Rt. 64

I too would not go south to 64 but just follow 460 to rt 158 and south to Kitty Hawk. There won't be any traffic issues in Oct and once over the bridge go south 8 miles and you are at the Wright Memorial.

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
188 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rt. 158 vs Rt. 64

Thanks I feel good knowing that traffic will be light at that time of year on the island. And thanks for all the different route's. We aren't stopping to visit in Richmond until the end of the week BUT I think we will drive thru Franklin, VA now and have breakfast with another family member. I'll have to call him to see if this retired man is available that day! And since there probably isn't any advantage to entiring the OBX from Rt 64 I guess we will skip driving down that far.

6. Re: Rt. 158 vs Rt. 64

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2013, 10:16