We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to go in OBX

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Place to go in OBX

Hi, need your help. We are looking the best place in OBX to stay with bikes, our own jet ski. We don't want a big house, but condo. We like Duck a lot. What else could be good for us?

Kitty Hawk, North...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to go in OBX

I'm not aware of any that come with their own jet ski or bikes. But what you can do is rent a place and then rent bikes and jet ski (including having them delivered to you and waiting for you when you arrive and taken when you want).

I know Ocean Atlantic Rentals does bikes, but I'm not sure about Jet Skis

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
149 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to go in OBX

To me, it looks like you plan on bringing your own jet ski, and bikes. You will most likely want to go sound side. Duck has a few condo communities on the sound with docks and launches. Nantucket is one. VRBO has a few units listed, including a 2 BR unit that might fit what you're looking for. A few of the local management companies, Like Sun Realty, also have units at Nantucket. Also try Flipkey. Duck also has a town trail for bike riding. Personally, it sounds like the Nantucket community is right up your alley!

If you are looking to RENT the jet ski, places like Duck Watersports rents by the day or hour. Like Terry said - there are a lot of places that rent bikes and even deliver.

IF you're looking for a different area - as it seems like you've been to Duck before, I would recommend Avon. A few sound side communities have docking, and there are some small houses on vrbo with docking rights included. Avon does not have a trail like Duck does, but the Avon village is bike friendly. Pamlico Point might fit what you are looking for. Again, check out vrbo and the local management companies.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to go in OBX

Bikes can be many places, jet ski's limit you but I assume you can drive somewhere to launch them. Let's focus on jets skis and see where bikes fit in later. First, the sound up north of Duck looks wide and deep but it is NOT. I have a jet ski and put in at Kitty Hawk or across the bridge at Soundside Park just 1 mile north of the Wright Bros Mem Bridge. From either I can go up to Corolla or across the sound to Grandy or down to Nags Head and Manteo. I can tell you the sound is grassy and shallow north of Duck so I would avoid it up there.

KDH has a public launch and so does Nags Head. Nags Head is there at Pirates Cove and I would look to use it. You can stay in South Nags Head which is just 3-5 miles away and they have great bike paths as does Nags Head.

Pahoa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to go in OBX

Corolla has a public boat launch located right by the Currituck Lighthouse. Yes, the sound is often shallow, but it's deep enough to have some jet ski fun. Plus, sunset over the Whalehead Club is something you should not miss!

Pahoa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to go in OBX

As for condos, there are a few for rent. Check out Corolla Light Resort or the Currituck Club.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
424 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to go in OBX

I think staying in Nags Head is your best bet. OBX200 had excellent advice. If you want to keep your jet ski in the water, then check on Pirates Cove, but biking trails are not as available (high bridge in between there and the beach). Roanoke Island has some great biking, which is easy to get to from Pirates Cove.

7. Re: Place to go in OBX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 02:18