We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relaxing Couples Vacation May 2013

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Topic
Relaxing Couples Vacation May 2013

Hello, my wife and I are looking for a recommendation on the best place to stay for a relaxing vacation getaway for just us two. We are 30 years old and like finding restaurants and casual bars/drinking establishments that are local to the area...hopefully with some live music.

Any recommendations on:

- Which part of Outer Banks to stay?

- Condos/Beach property to rent from?

- Unique Restaurants/Bars in the area?

- Must see/do things in the area?

Thanks in advance for your help. It will be our first trip to Outer Banks!

Pahoa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relaxing Couples Vacation May 2013

Sounds like a dreamy getaway. Best parts of the Outer Banks are the most secluded - imagine desolate beaches & the feeling of having the place all to yourselves. I would recommend any village on Hatteras Island or the Northern Stretch up in Corolla. These communities comprise of mainly rental homes, but there are a few condos available for rent. I know in the Corolla area Corolla Light Resort & The Currituck Club both have condos, but there are also a few hotels in the area - The Inn at Corolla Light is locally owned and operated. Also, in this area are a few good restaurants and outside bars. Check out Agave Roja or North Banks for dinner then afterwards head to Mike Dianna's Grillroom for a deck drink or my personal fav, The Beer Garden. Corolla has plenty of things to check out as well - the Currituck lighthouse, the Whalehead Heritage park, nature walks & bike paths, and wild horse tours on the 4x4 beach. Hope this helps.. Have fun!

nc
Level Contributor
479 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relaxing Couples Vacation May 2013

If you want to explore the local night life and find live music, you should probably stick to the middle beaches - Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, and Kitty Hawk. There is much more going on, more restaurants to choose from, and shorter distances between them.

Two newish condos are First Flight Retreat and Croatan Surf Club, both oceanfront. You could save a few bucks by staying one off the ocean, maybe Victoria Place, Coastal Retreat, Hughes Retreat. All those are right in the middle of things. You might also want to look into a house if it fits your budget. I work at Village Realty and we have a few smaller homes, as well as condos.

Fun bars/restaurants that have music most nights are Mulligan's, Outer Banks Brewing Station, Mama Kwan's, Ocean Boulevard, Barefoot Bernie's, Pamlico Jack's. Fish Heads at the Outer Banks Fishing Pier is latest addition. Art's Place in Kitty Hawk is a well-kept secret with world-class jazz every Monday night. Lucky 12 is another fun local spot.

I will leave the rest of the must-see's for someone else to answer. Hope this is good start!

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
188 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relaxing Couples Vacation May 2013

My husband & I (in our 50's) were in Corolla the first week of October (a week ago). We stayed at the Hampton Inn, we had a room with a private balcony overlooking the ocean (if you go to the Hampton request a room on the 3rd floor or you will not be able to see the beach because of the dunes). It was very quiet and the traffic was very light in that part of the OBX during this time of year. We LOVED eating at Mike Dianna's Grill, it is located in the Tim Buck II shopping area - in the back behind the Go Karts. The food and atmosphere were perfect. We also ate at North Banks (Tim Buck II), this is more of a sports bar and very small and crowded (you 30somethings might really enjoy it - us not so much). I would think that May will be a more popular time of year from October but not as full/packed as June - Aug. (we hear it gets jammed with traffic). We enjoyed enjoyed the wild horse tour, I believe some places let you rent a jeep and drive it yourself.

Edited: 13 October 2012, 00:11
4. Re: Relaxing Couples Vacation May 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 20:03
5. Re: Relaxing Couples Vacation May 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 17:18