We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to OBX, where to stay with 3 young kids in July?

Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
1st trip to OBX, where to stay with 3 young kids in July?

We are heading to OBX for the first time, and we are wondering where to stay in OBX. We know we need to book fast, but we can't decide on the best place. We love to ride bikes and relax and enjoy the beach and outdoors! A less crowded town with a nice beach for the kids would be perfect! What town do you recommend? We were trying to find something as close to the beach as possible. I was looking at Corrolla and Frisco, but I'm just going off things I've read.

Thanks so much for your help!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to OBX, where to stay with 3 young kids in July?

I USUALLY STOP AT THE HILTON GARDEN IN at Kitty Hawk its tight on the beach however kitty Hawk is limited its really rural

Rocky Mount, North...
Level Contributor
94 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to OBX, where to stay with 3 young kids in July?

I would recommend the Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills area because there's much more for the kids to do there. That is a crowded area though. In Frisco there is a go kart/mini golf place for them to play.

Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to OBX, where to stay with 3 young kids in July?

I would stay in Corolla or Duck. Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills/Nags Head are more commercial, so more activities and more restaurants, but also more traffic and road noise. Corolla and Duck are more residential and quiet. In addition to the beach and biking trail, Corolla has the Center for Wildlife Education, the Whalehead Club, and the lighthouse, all located in a large park on the sound, and Duck has a lovely soundside park with extensive boardwalk, a playground, and events all summer long, many geared to children: http://www.townofduck.com/townofduckevents/

nc
Level Contributor
479 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to OBX, where to stay with 3 young kids in July?

With younger kids, I would go for Duck, where you will be close enough to bike everywhere in town, including the town park that Quack mentioned. There are places in Corolla or between the highways in Kill Devil Hills that could fit the bill, but if you aren't that familiar with the area, Duck is an easier choice. Plus you will be close enough to all the "stuff" in Nags Head and KDH in case of rainy days, and also close enough to take a day trip to Corolla. Explore for next year - you will definitely want to come back!

Yorktown, Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to OBX, where to stay with 3 young kids in July?

Is the ocean water temperature very warm up by Corolla and Duck, as much as it is down further south towards Nags Head???

Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip to OBX, where to stay with 3 young kids in July?

I can't imagine that there is any significant difference in water temperature between Corolla and Nags Head. There can be, however, a huge difference from day to day as the Gulf Stream moves in and out. I have been there when the water felt almost Caribbean one day and too cold (for me) to swim in the next.

7. Re: 1st trip to OBX, where to stay with 3 young kids in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 06:18