We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Outer Banks

Beaumont, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Outer Banks

We have never been to Outer Banks and would like advice. We just need some unwind time, looking for an oceanfront home in a quiet area. We just want to sit and enjoy the ocean view and it not be crowded or noisy. Small townish would be wonderful. We would be there end of June or first half of July probably. Which area would you recommend? We are not familiar with the different areas. Any advice would be appreciated.

Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Outer Banks

Sounds like Corolla or Duck to the north or Hatteras Island to the south. Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head in the middle tend to have more people and activities going on.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Outer Banks

My wife and I have spent many vacations on the Outer Banks, and were driven south to Hatteras Island by the pace and scale of development in the northern parts. Fortunately, much of Hatteras Island is National Seashore and that fact, coupled with being a little more remote has contained development. This year we are returning to Frisco on Hatteras Island, which has been a favorite spot for a number of years. Frisco offers great, relatively uncrowded beaches and the summer crowd generally respects the peace and quiet we crave. Oceanfront rentals there are expensive, but they are everywhere in the Outer Banks. There are a couple things about Hatteras Island to consider. The dining choices are more limited than up north, and there is a dearth of "fine dining" if that is important to you. But if you love freshly caught seafood, it is readily available. Certain activities, like golf, are not available on Hatteras. There is also very little nightlife, but it doesn't sound like something you will miss. Another plus to staying on the lower part of Hatteras is that you are a short drive from the free ferry to Ocracoke Island, which offers miles and miles of even more deserted, beautiful beaches with no development.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Outer Banks

With your choice of time I am afraid you will be limited to what you will find available . Most homes are booked in the winter for the 4th of July

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Outer Banks

Fish oinc is right, but worth a try. South Nags Head gives you quiet residential, but access to good restaurants in Nags Head. Not much dining options on Hatteras. Ocracoke is nice, but not generally beachfront.

Beaumont, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Outer Banks

Thank you all for the advice. I will see what I can find!!

6. Re: First time to Outer Banks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 06:17