We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to OBX: just need a sec of your time...

Richmond, Virginia
6 posts
Save Topic
First trip to OBX: just need a sec of your time...

Hi. We are making a last minute and first time trip to OBX. Not the way I wanted this to go down(.. Had to switch my vacation week this week!) but trying to put a nice trip together for my kids(13 and 15).

I have looked at availability of oceanfront(on beach) homes June 22-29. Slim pickings. But there are a few...duck, south nags head, kill devil hills. I don't know the difference btwn these locations....such as what it would be like on the beaches in comparison to each other.

This may not be enough info to help us. Should I post the exact houses?

I really appreciate the help. I know this gets asked a lot.

Regards,

Holden

Edited: 13 June 2013, 01:45
Richmond, Virginia
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to OBX: just need a sec of your time...

I figure maybe some location info might help. There are beachfront homes at:

Milepost 6, 9, 10.5

21(in goosewing?)

Duck(sanderling)

Thanks again for comments,

H

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to OBX: just need a sec of your time...

Your choices from Mile post 5-10 these area are close to being the same and have every thing you need MP 21 You will find less shopping close by although it isn't far and a bit quieter there too, Duck is a good choice I have never been to the Sanderling but have a lot of good reviews on it, The one thing I don't care about Duck is the traffic on Saturday and Sunday it gets backed up between noon and 4 or so .

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to OBX: just need a sec of your time...

Don't fret - you'll have a blast. Duck is very nice, but can have some beach stretches that aren't as nice as KDH or South Nags Head. KDH is in the middle of everything and should give you access to every thing you need.

Richmond, Virginia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to OBX: just need a sec of your time...

Thank you for the replies!

H

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to OBX: just need a sec of your time...

Right now the beach in South Nags Head is some of the nicest in the area and the area is unique in the lack of commercial stuff there, so it appeals to many because it's quiet. The Nags Head commercial everything area starts at mp 16 at Jeanette's Pier and so in South Nags Head you are a mere 2-5 miles from it. SNH has a sidewalk (aka bike path) too.

Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to OBX: just need a sec of your time...

Sanderling and South Nags Head will be quieter, and KDH (both the beach and the town) will be busier. But I would weigh which house you like better, the layout and amenities.

richmond
Level Contributor
914 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to OBX: just need a sec of your time...

The beaches in Sanderling are great. Which house in Sanderling? People talk about the traffic just get over the bridge by 10 am. Head to the Sanderling Pool if your house is a member-- most likely. They have clubhouse with showers and bathrooms and wait for your house. You can walk across the road and have lunch at the inn. Duck is great for biking and has great restaurants and shopping. Check out www.townofduck.com for free activities and more town info. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

nc
Level Contributor
481 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to OBX: just need a sec of your time...

Basically it comes down to how close you want to be to the middle of things. In the Kill Devil Hills area (milepost 5-10), there will be unlimited shops and restaurants that your boys could walk or bike too. In South Nags Head, you will feel like you are miles from it all, but it will be easy to drive to the grocery store and most places in the rest of Nags Head - which similar to Kill Devil Hills, if a little quieter. The Outer Banks Pier at milepost 18.5 also has a very popular restaurant and bar called Fish Heads, but otherwise there is no commercial presence south of Jennette's Pier at milepost 16.

Sanderling is part of Duck, but it is at least a few miles from the actual "downtown" if you want to call it that :) I grew up staying oceanfront in Sanderling, but in those days it was all about the beach. None of the houses have pools, there isn't much you can walk to, other than the sound and a lovely pond if you happen to be staying in the first section. The grocery stores are either about 6 miles to the south in Southern Shores, or 10 miles to the north in Corolla. And the speed limit through Duck itself is 25 and full of pedestrians and strollers. If you and your kids would enjoy a little distance from civilization, by all means go for it!

My choice would be South Nags Head for the excellent wide beach that OBX200 mentioned, and Fish Heads. Whatever you choose, hope you have a great time and keep coming back!

Richmond, Virginia
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to OBX: just need a sec of your time...

Thank for all the comments!

We have a house in Sanderling. Excited to take our first trip to OBX .

H

10. Re: First trip to OBX: just need a sec of your time...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 06:18