We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling into and out of Corolla on Saturday

England
9 posts
Save Topic
Traveling into and out of Corolla on Saturday

Hello. I am looking forward to visiting the Outer Banks next week, June 22nd-29th. We realized that Saturdays were the busiest days for travel when we booked, but we couldn't avoid those dates. I will be coming from DC and have family coming from New England. From DC we're planning to leave early (4:30 am) Sat AM to arrive before the rush and hang out somewhere for the day. Any suggestions for where to go with a baby and 4 year old?

From New England I think they will plan to arrive at dinner time. Is that reasonable or should they plan to arrive at 8 or 9 PM to avoid sitting in traffic for hours?

I've seen lots of posts about arrival traffic, but I am also wondering about departing the following Saturday. What time would be best to leave Corolla to avoid lots of traffic and really extending our drive? Anything we should be aware of? I'm not sure leaving Friday night is an option.

Thanks very much for your help. Looking through the forums has been so helpful in getting ideas and planning our trip.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,600 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling into and out of Corolla on Saturday

As far as leaving the beach, we love when we leave Sunday. You might try leaving very early Saturday or spend the day and leave much later.

Realize, of course, the reason for the traffic is the many many beaches along the coast that people are heading to...including further south than NC.

Since you're primed to leave DC early...I wonder if you could leave about midnight? Less traffic (although we've been surprised in July by traffic), cooler, easier on the engine, kids asleep maybe the entire drive. Your rental company probably offers early check in, perhaps for a fee which is worth it. By early, though, I don't mean 7:30 a.m. but anything might be good.

The New England people. They should drive as much as possible the first day and spend the night rather close to OBX, but in an area with a few overnight options. In their scheduling they should plan to arrive...imo...early also or well after, well, south'un supper time...so arrive about 8 or 9 or 10. Check ins are around 4 so there'll be a lot arriving till 6 or so and also earlier to spend a few hours on the beach or shopping before checkin.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling into and out of Corolla on Saturday

It is Saturday today. I had to show a house to some buyers in Corolla and we met at my Kitty Hawk office at 10am and I drove up to Corolla. There was no bridge traffic and there is none now, at 1pm. The ride up took maybe an extra 10 min and the ride back down was at 11:15am and uneventful. No traffic to speak of at those times. The traffic northbound on RT 12 at 11am was bumper to bumper up to Duck and clear after that. It is backing up now at 1pm, so it is all in the timing.

www.trafficland.com/city/OBX/index.html

Next week will be slightly more crowded that this week, but not by much. Be over the bridge by 2-3pm and if you are going up to Corolla then be on rt 12 by 11am and it won't be too bad. The bridge traffic will not be bad next week so arrive when you want. The following week will start the traffic problems on the bridge. Rt 12 north traffic is heavy to Duck from 11am til 4pm and not bad past Duck.

England
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling into and out of Corolla on Saturday

Just wanted to clarify, OBX200, do you mean cross the bridge by 2 or 3 on the Saturday we arrive and be on Route 12 by 11am to start our drive south to the bridge on the Saturday that we are leaving to go home? Thanks for your help!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling into and out of Corolla on Saturday

I am talking about next saturday only - June 22. The traffic will not be bad that day, much like it is not bad there now and it is 2:30pm.

Take a look and you will see www.trafficland.com/city/OBX/index.html

Next Saturday will be about the same with no traffic on the bridge coming to the beach. Cross by 2-3 pm and you should be ok there.

Rt 12 up to Duck is packed after 11am so just be ready for that for the 5-7 miles up to Duck. Past Duck it opens up again.

Going home on Saturday the southbound traffic on rt 12 is backed up until about 11-11:30am with people leaving.

In other words, come when you want next week, it won't be that bad at anytime. The next week is 4th July week and it gets heavy from then on until Sept.

richmond
Level Contributor
928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling into and out of Corolla on Saturday

You can stop in Duck and let the kids play at the playground and have lunch. Check out www.townofduck.com. If it is not too hot you can stop and get sub etc. at Harris Teeter and head up to the Whalehead Club and have a picnic and then walk around the Nature Center. Where are you staying in Corolla? If the community has a pool you can go there. Ask your rental company for passes. I don't think traffic will be to bad either. I would leave early like 6 or so on the return just to avoid traffic on 95. Check out Rte 460 which bypasses 64 and tunnels.

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling into and out of Corolla on Saturday

pghpeople: How is Route 460 - a lot of lights? I see it adds about an hour of travel time for me vs rt. 64, but is it an overall smoother ride?

richmond
Level Contributor
928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling into and out of Corolla on Saturday

There are some lights as you go through towns and a lower speed limit in towns. The rest is 55 mph. It should only add maybe 20 minutes. The advantage is no tunnels and 64 can often be really slow in the summer. Do not speed.

nc
Level Contributor
492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling into and out of Corolla on Saturday

I have been driving to the Outer Banks my whole life and only recently tried the 460 route. The difference is in your stress level - much much lower on 460! When you account for traffic, I doubt it really adds more than a few minutes to your drive.

9. Re: Traveling into and out of Corolla on Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks