We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carolina style BBQ

baltimore
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Carolina style BBQ

I go nuts over Carolina style BBQ - heading to Duck tomorrow. Can anyone recommend which BBQ place is the best? Willing to drive for it (or make a trip and stop at every place!)

richmond
Level Contributor
926 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carolina style BBQ

High Cotton in Kitty Hawk and Duck Deli in Duck. If you are north in Corolla BBQ in the village(behind Twiddy) very good take out only.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carolina style BBQ

BBQ is like pizza and everyone likes something different. pghpeople mentioned the best ones here, but there is a place just north of the Coinjock bridge called Currituck BBQ which has some really good bbq and sauce too. To me it's all in the sauce and I don't like just vinegar, I like some red in it too and this place has a lot of sauces to choose from.

baltimore
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carolina style BBQ

Thanks! I do like the vinegar based sauces the best. Where is the Coinjock bridge?

nc
Level Contributor
492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carolina style BBQ

THE best Carolina Barbecue I ever ate was from Corolla Village Barbecue. It's a little bit of a drive, but if you take the trip to explore the Whalehead Club and lighthouse, it's in the old Corolla village behind Twiddy. It's a tiny little shack and just has take out, but SOOOOO good!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carolina style BBQ

As you come south on rt 158/168 from Virginia the road makes a slit and 158 goes to Elizabeth City and 168 continues on south to the Outer Banks for another 12-15 miles. right after that 158 - 168 split (there is a traffic light and a 7-11) the Currituck BBQ is on the left as you get to a line of gas stations and the Coinjock bridge that goes over the international waterway. The BBQ is just before the line of gas stations.

http://www.currituckbbq.com/

Youngsville, North...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Carolina style BBQ

What about from Kitty Hawk south? My in-laws are there right now. They live in PA and can't get it up there, so any NC vinegar-based BBQ is a treat, but having the best is still important to us more seasoned eaters. High Cotton vs. Pigman? Other options?

nc
Level Contributor
492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carolina style BBQ

I would pick Soo'eys by Jockey's Ridge over High Cotton or Pigman's, but it's just a personal preference.

Virginia
Level Contributor
90 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carolina style BBQ

I'd also vote Sooey's if you are further south. North, it's Duck Deli all the way for me. They have a great pulled chicken barbeque for those who don't like pork.

9. Re: Carolina style BBQ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks
Recent Conversations