We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling Beer Geeks: Local beer to try?

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Calling Beer Geeks: Local beer to try?

I'm a big beer geek, big fan of American IPAs, and Imperial IPAs.

I plan on heading to OBBS as I typically do every year, but I don't see anything except the stout that really fits the style I generally prefer.

I can get Dogfish Head in Baltimore, but I'm looking for something to try down here perhaps from NC/SC/SoVA. Any suggestions for Hop Heads?

Thanks!

B

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling Beer Geeks: Local beer to try?

The Weeping Radish in Jarvisburg has some great German style beers.

www.weepingradish.com/index.php…

The Outer Banks Brewing Stationy in Kill Devil Hills has some very good beers as well.

www.obbrewing.com/beers/

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling Beer Geeks: Local beer to try?

Not sure where you are staying but if near KDH stop in the Stop and Shop at Ocean Bay and The Beach Rd about mp 7.5. There are only 2 stop lights on the beach rd and this is at the northern one, it is also an Exxon gas station. They have an amazing selection on micro brews and hot sauces. I don't care for the IPA and very hoppy ones but love stout and porters when I drink a beer. I was never too impressed with those at the Brewing Station myself, but they are drinkable. You can buy the beers from Weeping Radish at many stores and Stop and Shop carries them.

richmond
Level Contributor
922 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling Beer Geeks: Local beer to try?

Chips Wine and Beer at mp6 on the bypass has an amazing selection.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling Beer Geeks: Local beer to try?

Look for Carolina Brewery beers and ales on the OBX. The brew-pub is located in Chapel Hill but they have distribution all over the OBX. We like their Flagship IPA.

Youngsville, North...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling Beer Geeks: Local beer to try?

Most of the grocery stores have a decent selection, but Chips is definately the place to stop. OBBS always rotates so you never know what you're going to get, but it is always worth a stop when you are in town. The selection down here will not be too different from that in Baltimore. You will be able to get Dogfish Head, Heavy Seas, Victory Hop Devil, and Souther Tier from the east coast, as well as all offerings from Bells, Founders, Stone, Unita, and Lagunitas. Some local NC beers to try are Highland Brewery (Little Hump Spring ale and Kashmir IPA) the IPA from Carolina Brewery, but the best would be Hoppyum by Foothills. It rivals any IPA out there. Also, you may not be able to get Terrapin Brewery or Sweetwater beers in Maryland. Terrapin's Hopsecutioner is excellent as is the Double IPA Hopzilla (10.4%?) and Sweetwater has an IPA (yellow label) that is loaded with citrus. Hopsecutioner, Sweetwater, and Hoppyum are all better than Dogfish 60. Have fun:)

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling Beer Geeks: Local beer to try?

I like the Hoppyum a lot, but my spouse finds it a little on the sweet side. NC has a lot of really good beers. Good call on the Highland Brewing Company.

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
343 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling Beer Geeks: Local beer to try?

Response #1 is all you need to know... try the local brews.

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling Beer Geeks: Local beer to try?

Getting a little off topic, but if you are driving through VA, and probably at home in MD, try Full Nelson IPA from Blue Mtn. Brewery, and 8 pt. IPA from Devil's Backbone brewery.

Both are local to my area of Virginia and great if you are an IPA lover like me.

9. Re: Calling Beer Geeks: Local beer to try?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks