We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from central Jersey to Outer Banks

New Jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
driving from central Jersey to Outer Banks

Hi, we are coming from central Jersey for labor day weekend, arriving on Fri and leaving on Tue. We want to know what's the best way to drive. In spring, when we go to the Hamptom/Norfolk area, we usually do 95, DE 1, 113, 13, CBBT. Is this the best way in summer? I've heard that there are traffic in MD near Ocean City in summer. Should we avoid 113 and use 13 instead? Is it worthwhile going around DC using 95? We usually have huge delay coming from North but less problem going back. Google map shows the eastern shore route with 113 the quickest.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
348 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from central Jersey to Outer Banks

I believe we've gone both ways in the summer in the past two years (coming from eastern PA), meaning I think we usually go 113 but we may have changed it up and done 13 once when it seemed like traffic was a little too crazy closer to the DE/MD beaches. Honestly, it was never bad enough either way for me to remember and think, "Don't ever go THAT way again!"

When I mapped it, it looked like inland is a few miles shorter but 3 whole minutes longer. If you have a smartphone, I'd keep the Google traffic map handy that day and if it looks like you can avoid some slow stuff by going one way or the other, go for it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from central Jersey to Outer Banks

The only do not is do NOT take 95 around DC. Awful traffic We do 13 even though GPS sends you to 113. Never had a problem on 13 as long as you get on 13 below Dover when signs point you to Norfolk on 13

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from central Jersey to Outer Banks

I think you will be fine since most people travel to the Md on Friday afternoon ( you'll be past that) and return Monday. You will miss that by returning on Tuesday.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from central Jersey to Outer Banks

Looks like I am ok with 113 or 13, especially given the timing of my travel. I'll probably give 13 a try and see how it is. Thanks all for your help.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
348 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from central Jersey to Outer Banks

We just made the drive again on Saturday and Route 1 was horrendous. We should have jumped onto 13 sooner than we did. We took 13 the rest of the way and it was fine. Keep an eye on Google traffic and you'll be fine. Happy trails!

6. Re: driving from central Jersey to Outer Banks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks
Recent Conversations