We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route Norfolk to Salvo on Sat

Boston...
4 posts
Save Topic
Best route Norfolk to Salvo on Sat

Looking for advice on the best way to go from ORF to Salvo. Arriving at noon to Norfolk to drive to Salvo. Coming from Cape Cod I know about change day traffic and looks like I will be at the peak of traffic..

Debating if I should go the most direct way down 158 through Nags Head and just deal or go the 50 or so miles out of the way down 17 and across 64. I assume it backs up at the bridge there too. Is it as bad?

nc
Level Contributor
477 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route Norfolk to Salvo on Sat

There is almost no backup on the 64 route at all. If you are heading south of Nags Head anyway, it is worth the extra miles. Your travel time may even be shorter than if you were to take the 158 route. But this is all for high-season traffic. If you are coming in late August or September, the 158 route is your best bet.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route Norfolk to Salvo on Sat

Thanks since I am going tomorrow I will take the "long"way and at least keep moving.

Any grocery store recommendation on that route? Or I can stop in Va...

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route Norfolk to Salvo on Sat

Take the business Rt threw Manteo there is a Food-A-Rama Inc and a Piggly Wiggly I think on the main road. your best bet for Grocery's on the way Once in Salvo you are limited to Convenience stores . Your next best bet is Nags Head or South to Avon, And you don't really want to do that on a Saturday Afternoon

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route Norfolk to Salvo on Sat

Thanks for the tips.

5. Re: Best route Norfolk to Salvo on Sat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 06:17