We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area for us to Stay?

Tampa, Florida...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Area for us to Stay?

My boyfriend and I will be driving from Tampa to New Jersey at the end of the month, with North Carolina being about the half way point so we figured it'd be a good place to stop. We have a very open, flexible schedule with this trip, so distance and time is not an issue.

With that being said, what part of OBX would be best for us, if at all? I'm 25, he's 30, enjoy good food, beer, and just exploring new places. (We love little dive bars/hole in the wall type places and aren't wanting any crazy bars/nightclubs). It's not super important for us to stay directly on the beach, but would be nice to be in walking distance of it to take a romantic stroll or two. We really enjoy little historic towns (think St. Augustine, Savannah) where you can walk from your hotel to a restaurant or bar and not have to worry about driving.

Are these realistic expectations? If not, any other suggestions would be appreciated anywhere between SC and NJ. We're already planning Charleston for a later date so that's out of the question for this trip.

Thanks so much!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area for us to Stay?

I have to think Va Beach might be more to your liking, but if the Outer Banks is it then I suggest Nags Head or Kill Devil Hills. Each is 5 miles long so you are close to anything in either of them. We have no bars per say. Each restaurant has a bar and there are three restaurant night spots you might like. Kelly's has a nice bar and usually a band, it's in Nags Head. Brewing Station and Port O Call are in Kill Devil Hills.

I would not use the word Boyfriend when making a reservation.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area for us to Stay?

I would think that Tortuga's Lie in Nags Head would be just what you are looking for:

http://www.tortugaslie.com/cmon.php

It definitely has that relaxed vibe with great food and beverages.

I don't think they do live music, but they are right on the beach road so very convenient if you are staying in Nags Head~

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area for us to Stay?

We're flattered that you would like to visit us on the Outer Banks.

Don't know if you've mapped the Tampa to NJ route, but you will be 3 hours from the Outer Banks when you get to Rocky Mount, NC on I 95 North. So there is three hours of a really boring drive to the Outer Banks. Once you leave here, it will take you 3+ hours to get back to I 95 at Richmond, VA.

People don't realize how far we are from I 95.

nc
Level Contributor
484 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Area for us to Stay?

@DOBX I always tell people that we really aren't on the way to anywhere!

5. Re: Best Area for us to Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 05:17