We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wright Memorial Bridge closures

woodbridge,va
Level Contributor
603 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Wright Memorial Bridge closures

I just received notice from my rental company that the west bound lanes of the Wright memorial bridge will be closed from Sept. 15- May 15, 2014 for resurfacing. This will bring all traffic onto the eastbound bridge making it down to 1 lane in each direction. We are coming the week of Sept. 21(a Sat.) and I had thought ,until now , we would probably have steered clear of most of the traffic problems. Should we come Friday night instead? Does anyone know how bad this could impact travel into OBX this time of year? thanks for any feedback esp. from locals.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wright Memorial Bridge closures

I have heard about this too, September the traffic is usually lighter but thinking this isn't going to make anything better until it is over I am coming about the same time going down 460 off of 95 to Suffolk then taking 32 to Edenton then coming in through Mantio. This is a good route seldom traveled . You will no doubt miss all the problems going this way .

460 is picked up off of 95 in Petersburge .

You can monitor this site the week before you go and make your own decision.

www.trafficland.com/city/OBX/index.html

Edited: 17 August 2013, 02:39
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wright Memorial Bridge closures

I would not worry about it backing up much at all. If there is an accident then all bets are off. The only bad day would be Saturday.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wright Memorial Bridge closures

Just returned form the OBX. Took an extra 45 min out bound on Sunday morning. This bridge was built wrong to begin with. It is a travesty that we have to pay for it. Why they would not wait until October is beyond me.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wright Memorial Bridge closures

So far the problems have been both Saturday and Sunday as you "LEAVE" not arrive. The trip here has no back up issues, those leaving have had the back up delay for the last 3-5 miles before you get on the Wright Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk. Since everyone leaves about the same time the roads converge at the bridge and squeeze down to one outbound lane. It gets worse about 11am when the folks from Hatteras arrive. I watched the traffic cameras and there is a little back up from 3:30 to about 4:30pm and then it is clear, but there is a 1-4 mile back up on the bypass before that starting about 10am.

You would be best to leave before 9am and earlier is better.

Edited: 23 September 2013, 13:46
Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wright Memorial Bridge closures

Arrival should not be affected greatly.... but departures were a nightmare this past weekend.

Traffic was backed up leaving until beyond 6:30 on Sunday evening....

Ellwood City...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wright Memorial Bridge closures

What's the road surface like on these bridges--the Wright Memorial and the one going from Edenton to Mnateo. Neck problems and potholes are a problem for me. Leaving Fredericksburg for OBX Oct. 11.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wright Memorial Bridge closures

Road surface is asphalt I am guessing. No pot holes, nothing like that at all. You won't have any issues crossing the bridge now, it was closed about 2 weeks too early I think. Have a good trip from Freddy'burg.

8. Re: Wright Memorial Bridge closures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 06:20