We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best seafood in Kill Devil Hills & Nags Head area?

Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
930 posts
303 reviews
Save Topic
Best seafood in Kill Devil Hills & Nags Head area?

OB experts, need your expert advice.

Coming down for a relaxing week in the beginning of October. First visit.

Need opinions on the best restaurants around Kill Devil Hills, and Nags Head.

Good local specialties.

Appreciate your ideas.

Cheers! ----------- Ken

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,256 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best seafood in Kill Devil Hills & Nags Head area?

I'm a fan of Blue Moon Beach Grille and South Beach Grille. Blue Moon had some excellent fish tacos and killer shrimp and grits. Owens is a little higher end place, also quite good and highly recommended. Two that seem to get some accolades but I unfortunately missed on my last trip are Tortugas Lie and the Outer Banks Brewing Station. You're looking at a fairly restaurant-heavy area of the Outer Banks, so I'm sure others will make some good suggestions as well.

Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
930 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best seafood in Kill Devil Hills & Nags Head area?

Thanks for the tips. Those looked good in the review department here on TA. Appreciate your help.

Cheers! ------ Ken

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best seafood in Kill Devil Hills & Nags Head area?

Basnights lone cedar cafe on the causeway toward Manteo close to nags head.

I love Owens, it's pricy but worth it!

Fishermans wharf in Wanchese by the docks.

Sam and Omies close to Jennette pier is good local place, they always have a line for breakfast.

the nags head brewing company has a terrific beer selection, I thought the food was good but not great, but it's a fun place.

Mama kwan s had good fish tacos, so does ortegaz in Manteo.

I like south beach grill in nags head.

Lucky twelve tavern is good, you can get pizza up until two am, and when most everywhere else stops cooking about nine, that's great! Plus they have friendly bartenders and lots of beer choices.

Check out the reviews, you will find lots of choices.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,256 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best seafood in Kill Devil Hills & Nags Head area?

Thanks, Joy. I can't believe I forgot about Sam and Omies. We ate breakfast there three out of four mornings since it was essentially right across from our motel. It's a great morning spot if you're interested. By the way, did you happen to have a margarita at South Beach? Good stuff right there.

Edited: 27 September 2013, 05:05
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,256 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best seafood in Kill Devil Hills & Nags Head area?

Thanks, Joy. I can't believe I forgot about Sam and Omies. We ate breakfast there three out of four mornings since it was essentially right across from our motel. It's a great morning spot if you're interested. By the way, did you happen to have a margarita at South Beach? Good stuff right there.

Edited: 27 September 2013, 05:05
Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
930 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best seafood in Kill Devil Hills & Nags Head area?

Thanks for the added advice.

This will be a good trip!

Cheers! --------------Ken

richmond
Level Contributor
893 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best seafood in Kill Devil Hills & Nags Head area?

I Got Your Ctabs in Kitty Hawk.

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best seafood in Kill Devil Hills & Nags Head area?

I would second basically all of those and just add that we always enjoy Tortugas Lie IF you can get in the door. Usually a line, but maybe not in October. It's a dive, and a good one. If you want upscale but down home and superb service, Owens is the place. It's an Outer Banks tradition. Don't miss the great piano bar upstairs. The OBBS is good but not great. The beer is better than the food and it is quite loud, not a romantic date spot. I liked Blue Moon Beach Grill, but I wouldn't rave about it like some do. Maybe just our experience or maybe we just live in an area with good seafood and expect that. Sam and Omies is basic seafood in the old tradition, done fine, not particularly inventive. It's better for breakfast or lunch I think, unless you want a steamer. Justl some random thoughts from a yearly beach tripper.

Edited: 27 September 2013, 23:04
Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
930 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best seafood in Kill Devil Hills & Nags Head area?

2 more replies. Goooood. I'm getting hungry already.

Yes it's true when you live in an area with good seafood like Maryland, or here on the Jersey Shore. your expectations are a bit higher to start with. We had a great trip to Southern Spain this July, and people raved about the seafood. I found the seafood similar to ours, but I really enjoyed their recipes, spices, & the friendly restaurants.

Looks like this will be a good trip to KDH, & Nags.

Cheers! ------- Ken

Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best seafood in Kill Devil Hills & Nags Head area?

I know it's not KDH or NG but The Black Pelican in Kitty Hawk is great too! Long wait as well but there's an outside, upstairs bar that overlooks the ocean and a gift shop. Also, Wright Brothers memorabilia. I had shrimp and grits and they were amazing!! Cleaned my whole plate!!