We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should families stay in Outer Banks?

Catawissa...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Where should families stay in Outer Banks?

Mine and another family of four are considering the Outer Banks for our vacation next year. We each have two children, ages 7-8 and 11-12. What are the recommendations for where to stay? And what are some great activities to do with children? We are used to going to Ocean City, MD and having the boardwalk right there with plenty to do so this will be an entirely new experience for all of us so any help you can give us would be great!

woodbridge,va
Level Contributor
690 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should families stay in Outer Banks?

For a first time stay with kids in that age range I would stay in Nags Head or Kill Devil Hills area. Since you're used to Ocean City, it is the area that has more activities and restaurants. You will have to do more driving probably than in OC where you can walk to so much on the boardwalk but nothing is very far. There are lots of mini golf places and go cart places. There is the First Flight museum with a plane replica and a great aquarium in Manteo. There is also a working farm in Manteo that has a petting zoo area and activities for the kids. There is a pirate cruise that sails out of the area that may especially appeal to the younger one. There are the piers to walk out on and fish if they like that. The wild horse 4x4 tours out of Corolla would be fun too and there is the Currituck Lighthouse and Bodie Island lighthouse to climb. We just got back and had such a relaxed and fun time, there is plenty to do to never be bored but also it is a more relaxed vibe to me than OC and more family friendly.

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should families stay in Outer Banks?

I would 2nd everything suzen said.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,883 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should families stay in Outer Banks?

Yea, Nags Head or KDH and plan to drive here and there to activities. We have no boardwalk and not much all in the same close area so you drive here and there. I have never tried the lazer tag place but I think the older kids would like it.

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should families stay in Outer Banks?

Check out Corolla light Resort. Lots of amenities for adults and kids.

www.corollalightresort.com/resort-amen.htm

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should families stay in Outer Banks?

I'd recomend Duck. I've taken my family there 12 times and Corolla 4 times...

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should families stay in Outer Banks?

I like the area around Whale bone Junction that is in Nags Head, where the Beach Road turns into Old Oregon Inlet Road about mile marker 15 or so. Easy access to the road to Manteo, definitely go to see The Lost Colony. Close to Jennettes Pier with educational displays, and a nice playground across the road. Several life guard beach areas. The beach in Nags Head is nice and wide thanks to beach nourishment done couple years ago. Also that area its close to outlet mall and miniature golf courses that are fun on vacation too.

Personally the Duck and Corolla areas are not my favorite just because there is only the single two lane road in and out. When you go south toward Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head there is the beach road Virginia Dare Trail and the bypass road, so its easier to get around. And I like to be further south and closer to hatteras so we can go over to Pea Island wildlife refuge in a shorter time. I like going over there to birdwatch.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should families stay in Outer Banks?

I posted some notes and comments about some of the beaches.....

www.obxtravels.blogspot.com

Our home is in Southern Shores and it is located between Duck and Nagshead.... If you stay in that area you have access to all the fun things in Duck but are still not too far from the National Park at Jockey's Ridge or Manteo..... Depends on how remote you want to get....

8. Re: Where should families stay in Outer Banks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:17