We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two young 58 yr olds, sightseeing trip to OBX

Fareham, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Two young 58 yr olds, sightseeing trip to OBX

Hi

We are coming to the States in May to visit our daughter in NYC. After that, on the Tuesday after Memorial day, we want to do a road trip to the OBX. Now, we both love walking, sightseeing, history, the sea, beaches good food, photography. We don't like people, crowds, overspending (money relatively tight). Don't do watersports unfortunately.

My plan is as follows

Tues Drive down to Chincoteague, stay 1 night

Weds Thursday Stay somewhere KillDevil and do sights

Friday Saturday Stay on Roanoke and do Raleigh, Play, Elizabeth Gdns and local points

Sunday I night Buxton

Monday Tuesday Ocracoke

Weds Ferry to Swan Quarter and drive to Richmond

Thursday Drive to Philadelphia

Friday Drive to JFK, flight out 22.30

We have on the itinerary

Currituck Wildlife Refuge

Kitty Hawk

Jockey Ridge State Park

Pea Island Reserve

Buxton Woods

All the lighthouses

Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum

Can someone comment please on whether this is reasonable, but also, not sure of the trip back.

Are there reasonable places to stop rather than Richmond or Philadelphia, we want more historic or nature places, rather than big cities?

Can't wait, thank you so much!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two young 58 yr olds, sightseeing trip to OBX

When in May are you coming? The Lost Colony only runs in the summer, starting May 30th for 2014 thelostcolony.org/2014-lost-colony-performan…

I don't see the Wright Brothers Memorial on your list.

It can be slow going on hwy 12 and you should check the ferry schedules, but I think it looks reasonable, although the drive from NYC to Chincoteague is a long one. Your interest in history points toward Williamsburg, Va as a stopover. Both Richmond and Philadelphia are also very historical, but if you're looking for small you can't go wrong with Williamsburg.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two young 58 yr olds, sightseeing trip to OBX

I would stay in Nags Head Tuesday through Saturday you can see everything you mentioned from one location . I found Surf Side very nice and not to Pricy as is Islander inn , both on the beach but there are several others across the street that will save you money. Tar heal or Owens. or Travelers Inn are all reasonably priced . Stay in Buxton one night and you can climb the light house and or visit it See the graveyard of the Atlantic museum too in the same day. However it is located at the ferry docks , so you could do that on the way to Ocracoke.

Lots to pick from on Ocracoke but for economy look into Edwards or Sand Dollar . Also Black beards Inn isn't bad the lobby is made of old salvaged ship wreck lumber.

Find you way to Sprinters Point a nice nature walk it will take you by the light house too,and also look up history on Black Beard the Pirate, Ocracoke was his Hide out. Be sure to Make reservations on the Swan Quarter Ferry , you can do it on line or by calling 1 800 byferry.

Plenty of good food every where, A favorite in is Kill devil grill in Kill devil hills or Sam and Omies in Nags head. Also Sugar Creek . On Ocracoke stop by the Variety store Ocracoke they have menus of all the restaurants on the front porch . Every one likes Howard's , But there is plenty to chose from .

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two young 58 yr olds, sightseeing trip to OBX

Ferry ride from Ocracoke to swan quarter is about two and a half hour ferry ride, so unless there is something vital you want to see, I would recommend just take ferry from Ocracoke back to hatteras and drive back north on route 12.

if you stay in kitty hawk/ nags head area, roanoke island us just few minutes away, you don't have to move hotel. Or stay on roanoke island, in town of Manteo, and come over causeway to OBX. Kitty hawk and nags head have many free public access parking areas adjacent to beach if you want to save money by not staying right on the ocean.

On roanoke island, walk around the waterfront at the town of Manteo. Stop at the visitor center for the national wildlife refuge. Cross over the bridge.

Definitely go to Wright brothers memorial. At the Bodie island light house you can sign up for a ranger guided climb up the light house. Heading south on route 12, across the Bonner Bridge over Oregon Inlet, stop at the Pea Island visitor center.

Coming back north, stop at Williamsburg and head toward Richmond on route 5, and stop at some of the plantations, Berkeley or Shirley.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,958 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two young 58 yr olds, sightseeing trip to OBX

I second Fish's suggestion to stay in Nags Head. You'll spend less time checking in and out and the location is central. I'd add Sea Foam Motel to the list to consider. It's a good home base, short walking distance to several restaurants (specifically Owens and Sam and Omie's) and ground floor units open right to the beach. I even noticed other guests kept small grills in the "back yard" area near their rooms.

Food-wise, I'd add Blue Moon Beach Grille, South Beach Grille, Tortugas Lie and the Outer Banks Brewing Station as possibilities.

Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two young 58 yr olds, sightseeing trip to OBX

I agree with going to The Wright Brothers Museum. Because of them, you're able to fly over here to the states! ;). I also agree with going to Williamsburg, Va.. I've never been there myself, but I would love to! The Black Pelican restaurant in Kitty Hawk is delicious and has some Wright Brothers memorabilia, such as The Western Union telegram telling of their first flights! From what I understand, the building that now houses the restaurant, is the life saving station where The Wright Brothers sent that telegram. It also has a gift shop. I've only been to the OBX once, last year, and we stayed in Duck. We had such a wonderful time that we rented a house in KDH for this summer and I can't wait!! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time but I agree to try and stay in only 1 or 2 hotels so you don't spend so much time checking in and out!

UK, Hampshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Two young 58 yr olds, sightseeing trip to OBX

Really exciting answers thanks. Some great ideas, which when I get home I'll take on board. Good point re dates, I had looked at the website, but completely missed on the start date. we will be pretty early on the schedule, so I had best get something booked soon I guess!

Pleanty of research there for me thanx.

7. Re: Two young 58 yr olds, sightseeing trip to OBX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 06:20